Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Tired today

Well, I got some sleep last night. Key word...SOME. I finally fell asleep around 3:30 am. At least it wasn't an all nighter like happens sometimes. I layed down and starting breathing deeply and it did take me a while but I was able to get some sleep. I don't know if it was everything on my mind last night or the fact that I took a late afternoon nap yesterday with Chloe. I slept soundly from 3:30 in the afternoon until 5:00 yesterday. I was soooo tired. Then I was up all night. Go figure. What good was the nap??? Not much. Maybe I needed to take it cause God knew I wasn't going to sleep much last night anyway. He has some mysterious ways about Him.

I never got my chamomile tea last night so I am drinking some now. I was stupid and silly and typed on the computer while my tea kettle was boiling away. And boy did it boil away. I remember all of a sudden when I heard weird noises in my kitchen. I got a little scared (with James not being here, mind you) because it sounded like someone was in the house. It wasn't til I was halfway to the kitchen (picture scary movie right here) that I realized what I was hearing and then I ran to the kitchen but alas...it was too late for the poor kettle. Thank goodness I only spent $2 on the thing at a thrift store about three years ago. Not a priceless possession. So, I will have to go to the store today to buy a new one. That's okay, I need to go to the store anyway. Have to buy a wading pool for Buster. (Nathan's dog who Ashlie is watching while Nathan is deployed) I also need some baby food and bananas for Chloe. So, I ended up making some tea the old-fashioned way. Boiling it in a saucepan on the stove. (not boiling...as I learned in England, that is not the "proper" way to make tea)

So, you want a "proper" cup of tea???(proper said in the English accent just the way they say it) Here are the directions given to me from a true "proper" Englishwoman. You take a clean tea kettle, teapot and teacup (and not those little bone china ones...these things are whoppers...you gotta have a lot of tea when you drink it...I mean, these things are bigger than our standard coffee mugs...lots of tea) well, you have these things and you fill the tea kettle with water. You bring that water to a boil and then you pour this water in the teapot and teacup and then dump it out. Yes!!! You read it right. You dump it out. This gets everything nice and warm so it recieves the "real" tea better and your tea doesn't get cold as quickly. So, then you put new fresh water in the tea kettle (while its still warm, mind you) and you bring it to an almost boil. (never boil the water for the "real" tea as this changes the taste of the tea) Then you steep the tea in the teapot for however long til you get the strength you desire. Then you pour in your teacup (latte mug, to be exact) and enjoy.

So, there you have it. The "proper" way to drink a cup of tea. Is my tea "proper"??? Sort of. let's leave it at that. I, for one, have never been one to notice little changes in things. I am not a detail orientated sort of person. I am beginning to try to take notice of such things but for me, it does not come naturally. It is hard work.

So, speaking of Nathan (earlier) he is coming home next week. Yippee!!!! James is so excited. (Ashlie is too...smile...smile...smile....grin) Now James has his fishing/hunting/noodling buddy. (or at least he will next week) I am going to have to throw a big party and cook for everyone. Won't that be fun. I need a new handle for my deep fryer so I can fry up some shrim. That would be fun.

Well, onto the crocheting front. I have been working on Debra's shawl last night but alas, it is taking me a while. I don't know if I can get it done today or not. (partly because I am so extremely tired and I may take some naps today...haven't quite decided since taking a nap yesterday seemed to sabotage my sleep efforts last night dramatically) This sweet pea shawl is worked with DTR's which take a little longer than, say, your standard dc's. (for those of you not crochet savvy...those are double trebles and double crochets but since you aren't knowledgable in crochet, you probably don't even know what those are so there is no use even trying to explain them...just know that the first one takes longer to complete than the second one and you will be okay.) Anyways, I am getting there and it is absolutely gorgeous. I am definately making one for myself. I have the perfect yarn in mind. My Caron Bliss yarn in Plum. I joined the Skein-a-week along and have bought about 5 skeins of this yarn but quit buying it because I had no idea what I was going to make so I didn't know how much to buy. Well, I haven't been very good at my crochet-alongs period. (I need to get back into them now that things have slowed down a tad) So, this shawl may be made from that yarn. Still haven't decided. I may even splurge and buy some berroco suede for it. That is my dream yarn. I have yet to even feel the stuff but I dream of it. At least a purse or something made from this yarn. I must have something. It would take quite a bit of it to make this shawl. We will see. (oh but what a lovely shawl this would make...I would never take it off.)

Now to show you some FO's (finished objects, un-crochet savvys of the world). Here is the purse I finished yesterday for Debra. I think it turned out really nice. I have tried and tried with this thing to get it right. I have at least two more purses exactly like it in different colors almost complete. Maybe I will finish them and try to sell them on Etsy when I get my website. The colors had to be just right and I couldn't get it that way. I sure hope she likes this one.

Just to show you all, here are the two soakers I made for her a few weeks ago. A lot of you are probably wondering what soakers are and this is it. A diaper cover to put under a nightgown so when the baby is little, you can change thier diaper in the middle of the night without disturbing them too much. (like you would if you have to pull the panty type of diapers off and then try to get them back on while they are sleeping.)


Speaking of diaper covers, I need to order me some from CottonBabies before I forget. Chloe hasn't worn cloth diapers since our friends came for Christmas to visit. And she grew out of the other covers I had. These proraps are my utmost favorite. They are the cheapest which is the reason I bought them in the first place. I wasn't going to spend a ton of money on cloth diapers if I wasn't going to like it. Well, then I fell in love with them...and now I need more. Upon falling in love with cloth diapering I decided to try out the more expensive diaper cover everyone seems to rave about. Wonderoos. I think these are best for nighttime use and so that is what I will be using them for. Day use, I don't really like them near as much as the proraps.

Is my daughter hungry???



I found this in her crib the other day. I must not be feeding her enough. (I wondered why the doctor was telling me to feed her more protein and less carbs) Is there protein in wood??? What a goofball my baby is. I noticed this last week when she was teething pretty bad so she must have been trying to relieve the pain some. Kind of sad since this was a nice crib.

Well, I am off to make another cup of tea. I have been typing for long enough now. Getting tired of typing quite frankly. (well, just plain tired is probably more like it...its almost nap time...do I crochet??? or nap???)

No comments: