Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Anne of Green Gables 37 Doily Challenge

A quote from Anne of Green Gables will be the start of my post tonight.

DIANA: Myra Gillis had 37 doilies when she got married and I'm determined to have at least as many as she had.

ANNE: I suppose it would be impossible to keep house with only 36 doilies.


As most of you know...I have this thing for thread. I love it. Any and all thread. It is my most favorite medium to work with while crocheting. Oh, the beautiful stitches and the delicate intricasies you can create with thread that you cannot create with yarn.

Recently, I have been introduced to my newest favorite designer, Patricia Kristofferson. She designs doilies and I have three of her pattern books so far. (two are thanks to my wonderful SP Lori)I have made one doily of hers so far and am working on my second. My Monday Memory this week was the very first doily I ever made. This got me to thinking about doilies. Now, as alot of you probably don't know...my most favorite book to read (outside the Bible, of course) would have to be the Anne of Green Gables Series.

So, while thinking of doilies and such, and thinking of Anne...I came up with a delightful idea. Now Anne said it herself...it would be impossible to keep house with only 36 doilies...(so she was jesting when she said it...but she DID say it)...and so I have decided that I will have 37 doilies in my house. At least!! (If I don't want to stop at 37 then I will continue on...I may decided that I need to one up Mrya Gillis)

This is my challenge...to have 37 doilies in my house. Now, the neat part of this challenge that kind of lets me off the hook a tad is that I don't have to make every doily...I will accept doilies from others as well. I also don't have to start at 0. All the doilies already in my house count towards my 37. So, as I continue, I will add photos to this post of all my doilies for my challenge. I will post the link to this post in my sidebar so you all can find it easier and see how I am doing on my challenge.

Let the fun begin!!!!

Doily #1 ~ The first doily I ever crocheted.



Doily #2 ~ A doily I made while living in England.





Doily #3 ~ This is actually one of my place settings for a set I am working on...but for my 37 doily challenge, I am counting it...(not blocked yet)



Doily #4 ~ This is a Romanian Macrame doily I made when I was a teenager in Romania (no, its not knots...we don't know why they call it macrame)



Doily #5 ~ Another Romanian Macrame Doily I made as a teenager in Romania



Doily #6 ~ Rosa from Patricia Kristofferson's Doilies with a Twist.





Doily #7 ~ First doily from my Secret Pal Lori (a Patricia Kristofferson doily)



Doily #8 ~ Another Doily from my Secret Pal Lori (another Patricia Kristofferson doily)



Doily #9 ~ Yet another Doily from my Secret Pal Lori (and again, a PK doily)



Doily #10 ~ A doily my grandmother Anna made. I found it in her sewing box at my mother's house.



Doily #11 ~ Another one of my Grandmother Anna's doilies. (better pic coming tomorrow)



And that is all I have for now. I am working on Doily #13 so that will be coming soon. I am almost halfway there and I only started this challenge today!!! Yippeee...let's see how long this takes me (with everything else I have going on)

Another rule I thought I should mention. This does not include doilies that I make and which leave my house...no, it only includes doilies intended to stay in my house (and improve my housekeeping skills...since that is what doilies do)

Doily #12 ~ A special doily made for me by my secret pal Lori. This makes four doilies she has contributed to my 37 doily challenge. This doily is special because it bears my name. I is also my favorite color and crocheted using size 30 vintage thread. I love this doily and will cherish it forever. Thank you Lori.



Doily #13 (July 9, 2006) ~ A PK doily called Espresso. I used my lovely size 6 Clover Soft Touch hook sent to me from Lori for this doily. This is one of my most favorite doilies I have made so far. Its gorgeous.





Doily #14 (July 17, 2006) ~ A PK doily called Doys from my wonderful friend Lori. It is made with size 40 thread in purple. (my fave color in case you didn't know this already.)



Doily #15 (August 14, 2006) ~ A Doily I bought at a thrift store in Louisiana.




Doily #16 (August 14, 2006) ~ Pink Blush Doily found on Crochet Pattern Central. I used size 10 thread and size 6 steel hook for this doily.



Doily #17 (September 12, 2006) ~ Brocade doily from Crochet Pattern Central. I used size 30 DMC Cebelia thread and a size 10 hook. (not blocked yet)



Doily #18 (September 12, 2006) ~ A PK doily from my Autumn Secret Pal. This doily is from PK's book 99 Little Doilies.





Doily #19 (September 2006) ~ Another PK doily from my Autumn Secret Pal. This is also from PK's book 99 Little Doilies.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Doily #20 (September 2006) ~ My first doily design ever. It will be for free on my site so check back there when it is available. I am proud to have designed a doily on my own. While it is not the level of a PK doily...I am still very proud.



Doily #21 (September 26, 2006) ~ A doily from my swap partner Tween at the Ville for the Doily swap. This was her very first attempt ever at a doily and I am honored to recieve such a gift.



Doily #22 (September 26, 2006) ~ Another doily from Tween.



Doily #23 (September 26, 2006) ~ And a third doily from Tween. This was her favorite of the three and I can see why. It is very unique.



Doily #24 (October 2006) ~ A little doily sent to me by a dear tester on my testing forum Threadie. This was a prize for a little game we played.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Doily #25 (November 2006) ~ A doily rescued from the fate of torn flannel shirts and holey socks at the thrift store.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Doily #26 (November 2006) ~ Another doily rescued from the same thrift store as the last one.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Doily #27 (December 2006) ~ A doily I made for myself. I forget the name of it. I will have to check on that and get back to you. Made with size 10 Aunt Lydia's thread.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Doily #28 (July 2007) ~ A doily sent by a fairy godmother for the Holidays in July swap at the ville.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

7 comments:

Reverberate58 said...

Wonderful challenge you have set for yourself! I have several wonderful ones my Grandmother did using very fine thread. I will have to pull them out and take some pictures and post them. I will let you know when I do.

I have really enjoyed comeing to your blog and reading it. I just don't know if my comments are making it to you or not!

The Shrone said...

I am so slow! I finally got to the post office today to mail out the special Anna doily to you. I'm sorry for making you wait two extra days. But it will be worth it!

You never know...you might find more doilies coming your way now that you are on a mission to acquire 37!

JOY LYNN said...

I love doily's. I'm off to meet the challenge. more than 37 ! Perhaps you could direct us with some care and pressing ideas.. I am sure there are many.. love your blog..

Maggie from North Pole Alaska said...

From the Frozen Lady

Your work is so very beautiful. I make doilies and am proud. I still am BUT looking at yours - I'm going to challenge myself to do more detailed ones. I love to make doilies that are about 50 plus rounds. Your are exquisite!!!!!!!!!! Your colors are beautiful also.

DixieRedHead said...

anna, I dont know how I haven't found your blog sooner. Your work is amazing. I'm adding you to my blogroll.

threadies unite!
Stacey

Michelle C. Moode said...

my best friend and i have had an in-joke about that line from anne of green gables since we were in high school. now ten-years out of high school she's getting married, and I have just begun crocheting her 37 doilies. I'm up to 12, i think, but so far they're all pretty small.

best, michelle.

http://millionsofpeoplehappy.blogspot.com

Peg said...

You have some lovely doilies, some I have never seen before. I do love doilies. I love making them and I love rescuing unloved doilies from thrift and antique stores. Have you discovered Lizbeth cotton yet?