Tuesday, July 18, 2006

In Other Words



“When life whacks you so hard your head flies off, sew it back on and keep going.”
~ Mary Pierce ~



Upon my first reading of this quote, two words jumped off the page at me, "Whack" and "Head". I was instantly shot back to Sunday evening at the dinner table. I had just finished my own dinner and was patiently awaiting the others to finish theirs so I could proceed with the kitchen clean-up.

As any mother reading this knows (or any father, for that matter) there is NO limit to the antics we will employ as parents to hear the deep and resounding belly laugh of a baby.

So, with that being said, I proceeded with such antics to hear my own babies belly laugh. I grinned a silly grin to her and I got a smile in return. I talked silly talk to her and I in turn got a giggle. What on earth could I do to get that belly laugh? I know!!!! I am so brilliant. I will just duck down and blow raspberry kisses on her feet. She adores this game. "Mommy's gonna get those feeties...I'm gonna get them" and the giggles already start.

For me, its not just enough to HEAR the belly laugh...oh no...I must SEE the belly laugh. But this must be done quickly because unless the raspberry kisses are coming steadily, the belly laugh soon disappears and the shoveling of food into the mouth begins anew.

So, as quickly as possible, up I come from under the table...(darn table)...and WHACK...and... HEAD...and you get the picture. It didn't get quite the response I would have hoped for. Chloe proceeded to the shoveling of food since the raspberries were not forthcoming and my darling husband took over in the belly laugh department.

I left the room.

You see...I am known around here for my clumsiness. My darling husband does not understand how a person could be so clumsy. I do not understand either, for that matter. How many times can one person stub their toe on the foot of the bed before they learn where the foot of the bed is??? For this person??? Many, many times. I do not know the number yet as I have apparantly not learned.

My head most likely has a permanent dent in it from all the head whackings I have recieved in my lifetime. But no matter how many times I whack my head...and no matter how many times I am humiliated and wish myself through the bottom of the floor (because such clumsiness does, indeed, take place in public settings too)I have to pick myself back up, pop some tyelenol for the headache and keep on trudging along in this life.

No matter how many times I stumble in my Walk with the Lord and whack my head against the rocks, Jesus is there, reaching out his hand to lift me back up, soothe my headache and get me going back on the journey.

5 comments:

Reverberate58 said...

Isn't it just wonderful to have a Leader like Jesus, who comforts us in times of head whacking! Love your story Anna! Thanks for sharing!

Midlife Moments said...

"No matter how many times I stumble in my Walk with the Lord and whack my head against the rocks, Jesus is there, reaching out his hand to lift me back up, soothe my headache and get me going back on the journey."

I verbally said "Amen" after reading that! Great post!
Heather

Sissy B. said...

Thank goodness because I have been stumbling alot lately.

Amydeanne said...

great post! He's the tylonel of headaches eh? (lol sorry my Canadian coming out lol)

Nic said...

Absolutely enjoyed your perspective on this quote! I got a couple laughs out of it myself. Laughter is a gift from God, it lightens the heart, lifts the spirits and dispells the darkness. Great post! :)