Tuesday, September 19, 2006

In Other Words...



"No distinction was made between the sacred and the everyday...their life was all one piece. It was all sacred
and all ordinary."

~ Sue Bender ~
author of Plain and Simple



Reading this quote, the first thing that came to my mind was Revelations 3:15-16.

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other. So, because you are lukewarm - neither hot nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

Have you ever tasted a lukewarm cup of tea??? Yuck!!! And I do mean YUCK!!! It is not the most pleasant thing to drink. I would much prefer a cold cup of tea to that lukewarm stuff. (you know...the ice tea?? Yum!)

God is the same way about me. He would much rather coldness than for me to just go through the motions of being a Christian. How many times have I said the prayer for our meals and not even known what I said? Here I am with the perfect opportunity to talk to God and I nonchalantly say "Thank you for the food, Amen." This is not what God wants. He wants the passion...the joy...the thrill...the excitement. He wants for me to truly be grateful for the food He has so richly blessed me with. He wants the heart attitude to be in the right place.

I am often reminded of when I was growing up as a child. My mother insisted that we wear dresses to church every Sunday. After all...we were the pastor's kids and we needed to set an example, right??? I think there was much more to do with it than that. Oh, so much more.

You see, I think my mother was trying to teach me exactly what this quote is trying to say. God sometimes wants us to make a distinction between our normal everyday routine and HIS day. He wants us to honor Him on His day. To take time out and spend it with Him.

I must admit that there are still many, many times when I wear pants and even jeans (WHAT??? Yes, I did say jeans!!) to church. I do not believe this is a sin. It is an attitude of the heart. But I do wear dresses more often than not because I feel in my heart that God wants the best of me on His Day. I want to look the best I can for Him...to honor Him.

I do not want to be lukewarm. I want the passion for my Lord to show through in my life. I want others to notice and be drawn to my wonderful Saviour. He has blessed me beyond measure and I want my life to reflect the gratitude in my heart.