Saturday, November 18, 2006

Vintage Stuff and Doilies and Stuff and Lots of Stuff

What a week this has been. I haven't felt much like blogging this week and now there is a ton of "stuff" to share with you as a result. I mentioned the other day that I was about to take off on an antique/thrift store adventure. Well, I was very brave and actually did this. I drove to 6 different locations before I found a "real" store. This GPS thing is really cool but more than half of the "places" in it seem the be the living room of someone's house. (at least that is where it would take me) I did find an antique store though and I found some treasures there. I only bought three though...a shelf, a tea cup and saucer and a vintage music box. Here is whatI did with it...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I put this in Chloe's room. I have decided that she needs some "style" added to her plain walls. Here is a close up of the items on the shelf. I found that doll at the thrift store.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


There is the train and bear music box too. Its so cute. Chloe loves to sit in my lap holding it while it plays. Here is a close-up of the picture beside the shelf. I bought this for about $2 at the thrift store yesterday. Its of a little girl and boy playing in the water at an old-fashioned pump.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Check this dress out. I found it at the thrift store Thursday for only $2.60. Isn't it the most darling dress you have ever seen??? Its a size 18 months so we have a little time before she can wear it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I love the bottom of this dress...so old-fashioned and dainty and girly...oh I love it!!!!! I also found another doll for Chloe at the thrift store...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


And some little knicky knacky things for her shelf...and a Dick and Jane book. This brings back so many memories of learning to read. I can't wait until I can teach Chloe to read.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


This next item was a gorgeous find. It was only $2. Can you believe it??? Its a large table cloth and will fit my dining room table. It is covered in ribbon embroidery. I had wanted to learn to do ribbon embroidery a couple of years ago as my "project a year" but I didn't do so well. I made one thing for my mother and that was it. Maybe I will pick it back up and retry. This is a great motivational piece. Its gorgeous.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Chloe kept trying to touch the ribbons on the tablecloth. I had to keep inching it up out of her grasp, but I still caught the top of her head in the picture. That's okay though because she has such a darling head. {BIG mommy grin}

So, as many of you know...Friday is play doh day and yesterday was no different. We whipped out the play doh and I sat down with Chloe and taught her an age-old play doh form. Everyone (and I mean EVERYONE should know how to make this form. It is the basics of Play Doh 101.)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


THE SNAKE. Remember making these??? Once you make the snake, you can make anything. See??? Since snakes live in the tropics, I made a paradise for him.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I then taught her to make the second project in Play Doh 101. Step one....

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


And then step 2....

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


The timeless classic...the handprint. What parent does not enjoy the handprint project??? Everyone has one.

In other news...I received a package this week. My swap partner for the Holiday swap sent me a little package. She made me a pink bookmark (ahh...love pink) and she also sent a little coloring book for Chloe. Isn't she the sweetest to think of Chloe too? Chloe loved getting something in "mama's" package. She took the book and sat on the floor and looked at each and every page. Thank you Jobean for the wonderful package. It was so thoghtful of you.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I also got some snowflakes in the mail yesterday but I don't have a decent photo of them so you will have to wait until tomorrow to see them. I can show you some of my recent doilies though. I got two Christmas gifts finished. YAY!!! Only about a billion more to go. Sheesh...will I EVER get caught up??? I don't know...but I can sure try. Anyways, here is a doily I made for my sister-in-law. She reminds me of yellow with her sunny personality (and she wears yellow and looks gorgeous in it) so I made her a doily to match her.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


And you can all guess who designed this doily. Its a Patricia Kristofferson doily. Would you expect anything less than the best for a Christmas gift? Nope!! It will be hard to part with such a beauty but I THINK I can do it. And now the fun shot...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I just love the details of PK doilies. I have never seen anything like them before. See the center of this doily??? Just stunning. This doily is from her book Absolutely Gorgeous Doilies that my swap partner Kate gave to me.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I also made a doily for my best friend Rachel. She too is a "yellow" person. Her old house (when I was her neighbor) had a yellow kitchen. So, I made her a yellow doily. It too is a PK doily.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


This was from the book "Dainty Little Doilies". Here is the fun shot of it so you can see the stitch detail.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Now while I was in the thrift stores this week, I noticed some doilies amongst the other "stuff" there. These poor treasures. I was appalled. I thought of the hours that someone spent on these doilies. The love they poured out into these...the time and care...and I made a decision. It is now my mission to rescue any thrift store doily I can find from the same death sentence reserved for dingy flannel shirts and holey woman's underwear.

Here are my first two rescued doilies. (I will be making a gallery of all my "rescued" doilies in a day or two and add the link to my sidebar.)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


And a fun shot...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


And doily number 2.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


What's next??? (shhhh...its the fun shot...don't tell...)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


So, what will I be working on this next week??? Oh...I have a couple of new designs about ready to be released...I also have some new patterns to type up and get into testing. Let's see...I am working on some items to sell in my Boutique. Check it out soon and you will find some great gifts for a special someone on your list. I hope to have the Boutique stocked by the end of next week. I also have some ideas for a bunch of free patterns to put on my site...I hope to have those up by the begininig of December. Got some great ideas.

Hopefully I haven't bored you to death with all my ramblings. I need to get to bed now. Have a great evening everyone and thank you for stopping by.

2 comments:

Andy's Crafts said...

Great Combinations. Love the decor!

busyHSmom said...

The doilies are lovely, but I have to ask...what in the world do you do with all of them?!?! Do you store them, or do you actually put them all on display somehow?