Monday, February 12, 2007

Management Binder: My Schedules - Part 1

The second section of my management binder is another very important section to me. I use it every day at all points of the day and this is why it is up front in my binder. Easy access. This is my Schedules and Routines Section. Part of the fun of my binder (and what makes it MINE and also makes it personal) is adding pictures that inspire me...pictures that cause a desire to keep a beautiful home...pictures that give me peace and calm in the midst of chaos. I also include a little Bible verse that also inspires me according to that section of my binder. Here is what I created for my Schedules Tab.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


The verse I have with this tab is from my favorite chapter of the Bible...Proverbs 31. (which is printed in whole on my cover)

Proverbs 31:17

"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks."


First in this section is a print out of my Morning, Afternoon, Evening and Bedtime routines. This page needs major changes done to it as I have crossed things out...added things in and changed the order so many times you would be confused. So, I opted not to photograph this page until I get a new print out.

But I will show you the next page in this section. It is my Daily Routine. This is more my routine for Chloe and I together. It is not too detailed...but it outlines my normal day for me.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Here is what a normal day looks like.

Daily Routine


7:30-7:45 - Wake Chloe, dress, devotions, make bed, put pajamas away. - these are all Chloe's chores for this time. I have already had my own devotions, showered, made my own bed and cooked breakfast by 7:30...this is when Chloe's day starts.

7:45-8:30 - Vitamins, eat breakfast, put milk cup in fridge, sweep floor, feed cat, feed fish, brush teeth

8:30-9:30 - Blanket Time - Chloe sits on a blanket in her room playing with a few toys that I select for her. This helps her to learn patience and concentration skills. It also gives me time for a few chores and blogging time. (like right now)

9:30-10:00 - Chores with Mommy - I have Chloe help me do things around the house. This is more to keep her by my side and have her learn by example than it is her actually "doing" any chores. It is when I have her watch me make bread...or help me fold the laundry...or simple chores like that.

10:00-10:30 - Structured Time with Mommy - This is the time of day when I play with Chloe one on one. We play Barbies or have a tea party or whatever we feel like doing for the day. Sometimes we create creatures like Thingly Unsters just for kicks. It is a fun part of our day and one we both really look forward to and enjoy.

10:30-11:00 - Free Play (in living room) - Chloe has some free time in the living room to do as she wishes (except tear apart the whole room in 5 seconds. It must be within reason, you know. She knows the rules of the house.)

11:00-11:30 - Eat Lunch, put milk in fridge - one of Chloe's chores is to put her milk cup in the fridge after each meal.

11:30-12:00 - Story-time and prayers

12:00-2:00 - Naptime

2:00-2:30 - Story-time - Chloe adores reading books and could spend all day doing so. I let her choose the books.

2:30-3:00 - Structured Play Time (table activities) - Chloe sits at the table and does different activities. (photo and description for this list of her activities will be in next Monday's post)

3:00-4:00 - Free Play (in her bedroom)

4:00-5:00 - Structured Mommy Time (helping cook in the kitchen)

5:00-6:00 - Eat dinner, put milk in fridge, load dishwasher, sweep floor

6:00-6:30 - Family Time

6:30-7:00 - Daddy Time
- Chloe and her daddy play together. Usually its just tickle time or playing downstairs with her Little People village.

7:00-7:30 - Bath-time, put on pajamas, put clothes in hamper, read story, prayers

7:30 - Bedtime


Now many of you may ask, "Why do you have this all typed up and printed out in a binder?" Let me tell you a couple of reasons.

1. It helps me to stay focused so I can accomplish the things I need to get done each day.
2. It helps me to know what Chloe is capable of and what areas she may need improvement on. I know where to adjust things to fit her level of knowledge and capabilities. At Chloe's age, a child is fully capable of handling a few simple chores.
3. If someone were to come watch Chloe for me, the would only have to look in my book and know exactly what we do and what comes next. This will come in very handy if we ever have a babysitter or grandparents come to visit and want to watch her. They will know exactly what Chloe does. They will know what her chores are and when she goes to bed and all that. There will be no confusion.

I wanted to mention that most of my ideas for this particular section came from Flylady. Check out her website for more ideas for management binders (or as she calls them...Control Journals) I hope someone has found this to be helpful. It really does help me to have a management binder. It is a major part of my life. I would be lost without it. Have a wonderful Monday everyone!!!!

3 comments:

mom4x said...

Oh I long to be so organized.. I am lucky to have my bed made and hair brushed by noon...LOL.. Don't get me wrong I'm by no means a slob or anything... I just can never get all my things done..I am working on it though...

busyHSmom said...

There is a book called "Managers of Their Homes" that I found very helpful. I no longer use their system, and some may find it overwhelming or too structured, but there was one task they recommended that I thought was a SUPER idea. You sit down with a blank piece of paper and you write down everything that you must do in a day and everything that you want to do in a day with the amount of time for each activity beside it. Of course, my list added up to about 30 hours! So then I had to go through and prioritize and organize.

Lately I have been a member of the "Fly by the Seat of Your Pants" gang, but this system is not working too well for me. I really, really need to set aside some time to prioritize and schedule.

Like the old saying goes: When you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Or: Aim for nothing and you're sure to hit it.

Anna said...

Its funny you say that busymom...because in two weeks you are going to see something almost exaclty like what you have described. (I do believe that I can be considered "anal retentive") This will be in Part 3 of my Routines and Schedules section. I need to make some revisions to it before I post it though.