Thursday, February 22, 2007

Stashbusting

I saw this new CAL over at the ville a few weeks ago. (closer to the beginning of the year) I have had my eye on it ever since, debating with myself as to whether I should join in or not...and even if I really needed to bust my stash. The thing most forthright in my mind was my scrap tote. This tote contains all those leftover balls of yarn from previous projects completed over the past two or three years. That is a lot of scraps.

Well, I was searching online for some 12" square patterns for the Winter Afghan Square swap over on my forum when I ran across this Simple Yo-Yo Square pattern. The first time I saw it I thought "hmmm...interesting" and I clicked off it. Well, browsing through patterns again a week or so later I saw it again and this time my thought was more like "Hmm...that is kind of pretty" and I clicked off it. I noticed the Stashbusting CAL at the ville again and I thought "hmmm...that yo-yo pattern might make a good "stashbusting" project. Well, last week I clicked on the pattern again and this time my thought was "Hmmm...I bet Anne Shirley would've had something like that in her House of Dreams" and this time I clicked the print button.

That night I made a few yo-yo's...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


...and I then joined the CAL at the ville. Needless to say, I am now hooked on this stashbusting thing, and it doesn't stop at scraps. Oh no. I am on a mission to de-stash. I have so much yarn, it seems to be coming out my ears.

So, let me explain this for you all. For each full skein of yarn I use up completely from my stash I get 2 points. For each half skein (partially used skein) or scrap ball of yarn I get 1 point. Now the only problem is that for each full skein of yarn I inherit (or buy) I lose 2 points and the same for the half skeins and balls I inherit or buy...I lose 1 point. So, you can see why this would appeal to me. I love a challenge. Wanna know my score so far? (I started this on Saturday night - could have been Friday, I don't remember exactly) 42. Yup. I have 42 points.

Wanna see what got me a lot of points???

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


That is a scarf. (in case you are blind...but then you wouldn't be reading this blog, so I don't really know why I have to tell you its a scarf) Anyways, I made this for a friend from church. We celebrated her birthday Tuesday night and I made this up for her. I used some Moda Dea Tutu yarn. I wasn't sure if I would like it as I was crocheting it up. It has these little confetti-like thingies hanging off it every so often and it seemed to me a bit over the top. But once I got done with the scarf, I knew it was perfect. And she loved it. (always a plus)

It took 2 skeins of this yarn for that scarf and since they were full skeins that was 4 points. Since this scarf worked up so quickly, I decided to make another scarf for my secret pal. It will be in her last "reveal" package so in case she reads my blog she won't know who I am. (isn't that clever???)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Okay, I am afraid that I must admit something to you. I cannot type further without telling this since it will plague my conscious for the rest of the evening and I won't be able to enjoy the tea party I am about to visit with Harmony the Care Bear and LuLu the Alphabet Spider. Those two pictures of scarves are actually the same exact scarf. Not just that the pattern is the same...but they are the same scarf. I just changed the position of it for the second picture. You see...I was in such a hurry to get to the party on Tuesday I forgot to take a picture of the second scarf.

There. I did it. Now I can show you more of my stashbusting attempts.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Now this picture you will not be able to tell what it is...and that is kind of the point. I can't tell you what it is...but I wanted to show it to you to prove that I have been stashbusting. This was started before I began stashbusting but I did finish 3 partial skeins for 3 more points this week. Hooray!!

And now the project I got the most points from. This is what I am most proud of. I made about a billion dishcloths since last night.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I am missing about four in this picture that I finished this morning. I need dishcloths pretty badly. I have probably about 5 or 6. Not enough by any standards. So I will be keeping a few of these. I may even send some as RAOK's. Who knows. It might also be nice to have some on hand for when I have company. I can give them one when they leave as a little "I love you" and "thank you for coming" type gift. I got a TON of points for these since I used about 15 little scrap balls of yarn up. Boy or boy...you would think that my scrap stash is depleted. But oh no. I haven't even made a drop in the bucket. All this crocheting and there isn't even a dent. Oh well, I have many more project ideas. I am working on a Vintage Shell Purse this evening for my pastor's wife. It is her birthday Saturday and we may be taking her out for lunch on Monday. So I thought this purse would make a nice little gift. I have the outside done and now I need to finish the inside. Better get to it!!!

No comments: