Thursday, April 05, 2007

Thursday Thirteen

Thirteen Words From The Scarlet Letter


As many of you probably already know, I am on a mission to read 50 books this year. I am right on track with this lofty and noble goal with 13 books under my belt already. Last week I shared with you 13 words that I really like. As I mentioned then, I love words. (good thing for someone who likes to write)

So, combine these two elements and we have the makings for a list of 13 things. This week I read The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I don't know why I bought this book other then the fact that I was in a bookstore and it was only $3.55 new. I haven't read many of the...quote "classics" and so I felt a strong urge to purchase this book and attempt to read it.

Give me about two pages and I was hooked. Literally hooked. You see...this book was written in 1851 (or at least that is when it was published) and so the English in this book is very quaint and antiquidated. I feel in love immediately. I found pure ecstasy in the colorful words. This book was full of them. Plus, there were many words I had no clue the meaning of. I am going to share such words with you today. Enjoy!

1) Phantasmagoric ~ a shifting series of phantasms, illusions, or deceptive appearances, as in a dream or as created by the imagination. (I love this word. It is my favorite of all the words I found. I have been saying it to myself all day today. It really is a fun word. You should try it)

2) Remonstrance ~ an act or instance of remonstrating (This didn't really help me out since I didn't know the definition of the word. So I looked up remonstrate and here is the definition for that ~ to say or plead in protest, objection, or disapproval)

3) Purport ~ to convey to the mind as the meaning or thing intended; express or imply. (Many times this word was used instead of "purpose" which I believe is our modern time equivalent for the same word)

4) Ignominy ~ shameful or dishonorable quality or conduct or an instance of this. (as you can imagine...this word showed up quite a few times in the book. I knew what it meant but I still liked it. A very interesting word.)

5) Imbibing ~ to take or receive into the mind, as knowledge, ideas, or the like (I found this word funny to say. I think it should mean..."the act of encasing a child in a bib" instead of what it actually means. But then it would serve no purpose in this book.)

6) Anathemas ~ a person or thing accursed or consigned to damnation or destruction (a very fitting word for this book)

7) Pestilence ~ something that is considered harmful, destructive, or evil. (I have heard this word before but I never knew what it meant. Interesting...)

8) Panoply ~ a wide-ranging and impressive array or display (I found this word interesting. It reminds me of a canape, or a thin french pancake...which can be very impressive at times, I think. Just cover them with chocolate and you have the impressive array)

9) Gorget ~ a crescent-shaped ornament worn on a chain around the neck as a badge of rank by officers in the 17th and 18th centuries (hmmm...the word that came to my mind was "gorgeous"...interesting.)

10) Sagacious ~ having or showing acute mental discernment and keen practical sense; shrewd (I don't really like this word. It sounds evil. The definition changes my mind a little...very little. Doesn't it just sound evil?)

11) Mollified ~ to soften in feeling or temper, as a person; pacify; appease. (funny...the sound of this word gives me the opposite feeling. Like horrified. I like it though. I think I may use this word.)

12) Gesticulating ~ to make or use gestures, esp. in an animated or excited manner with or instead of speech. (Funny word. I believe I have heard this word before)

13) Obeisance ~ a movement of the body expressing deep respect or deferential courtesy, as before a superior; a bow, curtsy, or other similar gesture. (Huh....I was thinking more along the lines of obesity. I wonder if they come from the same root word - ever seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding? If so...you will know what I am talking about.)

So, there were other words I found interesting as well but alas, this list must end at 13. I hope you enjoyed these words and you never know...you just might see some popping up every now and again on this blog.



Links to other Thursday Thirteens!1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

3 comments:

mom4x said...

This was one of my favorite books in English Literature.... We read it my 11th year I am thinkgin. I too got so into the story and I had an awesome teacher that made it come to life... I think I need to read it again..

mom4x said...

This was one of my favorite books in English Literature.... We read it my 11th year I am thinkgin. I too got so into the story and I had an awesome teacher that made it come to life... I think I need to read it again..

The Shrone said...

One thing about literature from the past, esp. Victorian and the "classics" is that the authors used words that were common to most educated people. Nowadays editors will dumb down writing in favor of people's laziness to crack a dictionary. Sad, really, because there are so many nifty words out there!