Saturday, June 23, 2007

Mexican Night

Last night was another ethnic night for us. After a month of this, we have found many recipes that do not work! I wouldn't neccessarily call them failures...just educational recipes. I have learned what recipes are gross, en-edible and just plain...umm....well, gross. Some are so bad that we can't even force ourselves to eat more than one bite. They are thrown immediately into the garbage. This saddens me since most of the time on ethnic night, I spent about 2-3 hours in the kitchen preparing the food. And believe me! The ingredients look nice. The dish sounds delicous when I am skimming over the recipe. (or else I wouldn't try it) But once assembled something happens to it and it becomes, well, gross.

Take last night. I made quite a few things. I started off with guacamole. You can't go wrong with guacamole, right?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


WRONG!

It was okay though. Finally, not something fit for the garbage can. It took me a while to realize that it was okay though. You see, I was sort of expecting my friend Sonia's guacamole (which is to die for) and this wasn't even remotely close. I think the fact that there were more bell peppers, onions, jalapenos and other junk in there than there was avacados is what knocked it out of the runnings for me. I would have liked it better with more avacados and less of the "clutter". Once I got my brain used to the idea that it was "different" I actually started enjoying it. I don't think I will make it again though. I will look for a different recipe. (it sure looked good when I was making it though)

Next I made something entirely new to me. Strawberry water.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


This was the yummiest part of the meal. It really was. You can't go wrong with strawberries. I would make this again...possibly for company. Its not an everyday type drink...that's for sure. It takes a while to make, but well worth the effort.

Now we come to the questionable items. First we have a Vegetable Medley.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


This was just plain gross. I shouldn't even be showing it to you. This is the item we took one bite of and threw in the garbage. Why is it that recipes will ask you to do something to a food item that cannot be done? Like pureeing kidney beans? I spent about 10 minutes with these beans in the blender and they did NOT puree. I got a few smaller chunks but for the most part the beans all went up the side of the blender away from the blade. Hmmm...I knew at that moment that this recipe wasn't going to turn out right.

Then I made some Mexican Fish.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


This was okay. I would probably cook it again sometime just for something different. Not my favorite, but definately something different. And it was easy!!!! I also made some Sweet Salsa and cinnamon chips. This was wonderful. (sorry I don't have a picture of it. We ate it too quickly) James ate the salsa out of the bowl with a spoon though. (it might have been a fork.) I made the cinnamon chips out of tortillas but I have a few issues with that portion of the recipe. If you ever make these, make sure you don't leave them in the oven for the full 10 minutes as the recipe states. They WILL burn. I think 5 minutes would be better if not less. It doesn't take them very long to brown. (and they aren't very good black) Also, you most likely will not need a whole cup of cinnamon sugar. I used 4 tortillas intead of the 3 it called for and I only used half a cup of cinnamon sugar and even that was a ton. I piled it high on my tortillas. (could be the reason they burnt quicker) Other than that, this was an excellent recipe that I will definately be making again!!!

Well, now. It is time for me to get going. We have a Sunday School picnic today that Chloe and I need to make cookies for and then its Scrapbook night tonight! So, an all around busy day for me. Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

Mama Russell said...

I'll have to share with you my guacamole recipe. I think it is pretty good. Now I just need to go find it, LOL. You have a lovely blog. I look forward to browsing around more as I have time.