Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Catching Up

...(and maybe breathing???? not yet...can't quite breath yet, but we are getting there) It has been a long time since an update on this blog. A very long time. Just how long has it been? I don't even know...let me go check. Okay. My last post was on Wednesday June 27th which makes that 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Man alive. Have I ever gone that long without posting??? I doubt it. (although it might have happened back along time ago and I just don't remember.)

So, needless to say, I must have been pretty busy the past two weeks to warrant NO posts. I figure I had better let you all know what I was doing so you don't think I was napping...or worse...eating bon-bons and watching soaps all day. (I have not watched a single soap opera in my life, I want you to know. I tried once when I was a teenager and it was so repulsive I turned it off and have never watched one again.) I also thought no one would like to read an autobiography of the last two weeks so I will do my best to keep this short and simple. I will post tidbits of what I did...just the facts. No embellishments. No stories. (I can try can't I? You all know I like the stories...but for your sake I will keep them short...er...I mean NO STORIES.)

THINGS I HAVE DONE IN TWO WEEKS!

1. I went shopping in an old, historic part of town with a girlfriend. I bought a teacup and two old books from an antique bookstore. (yay...a new used bookstore...OLD books too. Real old. LOVE IT!!) We had a "Shopper's Cream Tea" at a little tea shop while we were there and boy...let me tell you. I was in heaven. It almost felt like I was in England. They even had clotted cream. I drank the Earl Grey Supreme tea which was not only supreme but really, really good too. So good, in fact, that I had to buy some for myself.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


By the way, one of the books I bought brought back memories of my childhood, so I had to buy it. We used to have the Hans Brinker story on tape and I loved to listen to it over and over and over. So, I thought I would pass that on to Chloe only I would read the book to her (since my mother still owns the tape and I doubt she will be giving it up anytime soon)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


2. We rode a float in the 4th of July parade. James walked beside it while Chloe and I rode in it. Okay. So it was only the bed of a pickup truck belonging to one of the guys from our church but it was fun none-the-less. Hardly a soul waved to us though. They just wanted the candy James and the others walking beside the truck were throwing. A few old grandma's waved...quite possibly because Chloe was in my lap and who on the face of this earth would NOT wave to a cute little 2-year old baby waving from the local church float??? Actually, more than you would think. (okay...this is getting too long. Its becoming a story...on to the next item.)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


The only "red, white and blue" James had was his Yankee shirt. You can imagine the comments people gave him...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


3. I read 3 books last week.
The Postcard by Beverly Lewis (a very good book. You should read it)
The Mystery of Mary by Grace Livingston Hill
A New Name by Grace Livingston Hill
I am getting pretty far along in my book reading challenge. 21 of 50 read so far. Yay! I might just make it to 50 by the end of the year yet.

4. I finally got around to cooking our African night this week. (it was due two weeks ago) All I have to say is you simply MUST try these recipes. So far, this has been our favorite "ethnic" night since we started drawing countries out of the bowl last month.
Wali wa Nazi (coconut rice) - this was delicious. I was unsure of it while making it, but it was the best rice I have ever had. (yes. Even better than fried rice)
Doro Wat - I didn't have a couple of the ingredients for this but it turned out delicious anyways. We will definately be having this recipe again and again. I may even cook it for company, it was that good.
Fried Plantains - these weren't so good. I guess you have to like Plantains. I have never had them before but I didn't care much for them. I even sprinkled (or I mean poured) a bit of sugar on them and still didn't eat more than 5 slices. Worth the try though. Can't knock it till you try it, right?

5. Chloe went pooh in the pottychair twice today. Both times it was on her own accord. She goes potty most of the time in the chair as well. We are down to about 1 accident every two days. Yay!

6. I sent off a secrety-type package to my secret pal, the contents of which will remain a secret until she receives the package. (I am sorry to say that some of the contents were not photographed before I mailed the package, so you won't get to see everything. But that won't stop my from telling you about it, now will it?)

7. We got a new deep freezer. Well, its "new to us". Actually it appears quite old and I have to say that it had better work. They had a time of it getting it downstairs into the basement. I am missing a couple of chunks in my wall and there are some spots on the carpet that I have my doubts as to whether they are "removable" or not. That thing is staying down there until the house falls down. Its NOT coming back up those stairs. (at least not while WE own this house) So...it had better work.

8. I thought about making strawberry jam. I even bought some strawberries, pectin and jars. When I got out all the supplies to make it, I realized that I had read the instructions wrong in the store. I needed 2 quarts of strawberries...not 2 pints! And before I could make it back to the store to get more, the strawberries I had went bad. (all the produce from this commissary goes bad in a day or two...even in the fridge. I am about ready to write a letter of complaint.)

9. I decided that I didn't have enough to do in my life so I would start writing out the Bible by hand. Okay. So that's not the real reason. My life is quite full actually. But my secret pal asked to me to write out the entire Bible by hand along with her. She suggested starting with whatever book of the Bible I am currently reading for my devotions. I about choked when she wrote that...because I am currently reading...get this...Deuteronomy. The book of the longest chapters (at least this is my opinion a week into this endeavor) I have 6 and a half chapters done. My goal is to finish Deuteronomy this month. I figure that since its such a long book I will have a fantastic sense of acheivement when I am finished that all the other books will be like a breeze. (although probably not Leviticus which I will put off til the very end, most likly) Why am I writing out the Bible by hand? (other than the fact that I have always been a little bit crazy???) Well, how cool would it be to hand Chloe a handwritten copy of the Bible? It would truly be a treasure. (mom??? wanna give me a treasure??? I wouldn't mind a handwritten copy of the Bible from you...)

10. I watched Dumbo 13 times in the last 13 days. No more Little Mermaid for us...nope. Dumbo is the new thing now. (13 times is a little bit of an exaggeration...we don't let her watch tv every day. Maybe two to three times a week.)

11. Chloe cried for the first time during a movie. I don't know why I am happy about this. I should be sad. Actually, I was sad when she cried. It broke my heart. But it showed me that she was starting to understand things in movies. It was The Rescuers.

12. I completely made over my entire website. Go take a look! Its beeeee-yooooo-teeee-fullll. It took a long time but it is soooo worth the effort. I am not done yet. Its just the bare bones, but oh my...it takes my breath away every time I go look at it. I made it a little easier to navigate around and find things. I also added some new features like custom orders for me to crochet items and a couple of different Boutiques for pre-made items. I am really excited and can't wait to see where this business is going to go. Oh...just so that you know...I am having a HUGE sale this month. ALL the patterns on my site are on sale...$1.00 off each and every one of them. That is a GREAT deal. So, go check it out!!!

13. We cleaned out the inside of our car throughoughly for the first time since we moved here last August. It was getting pretty bad too. I couldn't stand the smell of it anymore. James has been using it to drive to work most every day now since the truck takes too much gas and somehow whatever vehicle he drives becomes his personal trash can. Well, normally I would clean it out every time I get out of it, but with a toddler to carry, her bag, her toys, my purse and whatever else a mother has to carry I just don't seem to have the room to carry any of his "trash". Well, now its clean and smells great. (I even added a vanilla-scented air freshner.)

14. I started a batch of Amish Friendship bread. I haven't posted in so long that I even had time to bake it into loaves before this post. (I actually baked it on Saturday) I made this amish cinnamon bread with it. I overcooked it but it still tasted good. (must be because it had loads of sugar in it...that always makes everything better)

15. I recieved two The Cat Who books for the Holidays In July RAOK over at the ville. I love The Cat Who series and I am excited about reading these books.

16. I also recieved some printed Barbie patterns from another Holiday Elf over at the ville. Most of these cannot be found on the internet anymore and I am so grateful for them. It is my intention to crochet a bunch of "modest" Barbie clothes for Chloe for Christmas. It will be her gift from me. I am even thinking of designing some...did I say that??? I shouldn't say that. It will jinx it and then I will never get it done. Uggg...why am I so forgetful?? I never used to be this bad...

Okay. I am getting tired and you all are probably getting bored reading about the past two weeks of my life. So, I will quit now and try to keep up posting everyday instead of every 2 weeks. I hope you all have a pleasant evening and a wonderful week ahead of you. Please pray for me. I have been asked to give the devotional at the Ladies Prayer Breakfast this coming Saturday. (any idea what book of the Bible my topic is coming out of??? If not, read number 9 above) I have a couple of ideas I am working on, but to be honest I am extremely nervous. This will mean that I have to pray in front of other people (and I am still sort of new around here so I don't know some of the ladies that come) and, in case you all have forgotten, I am kind of shy and I HATE public speaking. Writing is so much easier. I don't shake, throw up, stutter or forget what I am going to say. (okay...I guess I do forget what I was going to write but you all would never have to know that...I can hide it when I am writing. You can't hide it when you are talking.) Anyways, I would appreciate some prayer about this as I know my stomach will be in knots by Wednesday evening. Thank you and God bless.

5 comments:

Lea said...

Gosh Anna, glad you didn't ask me to write out the Bible..I'd have picked something like Jude!!!
..I will pray for you this sat. as you pray... the least a sister can do!!
..I'm so excited to get my pressies!! I'll take pics and post on my blog!
Hugs!
Lea

Lady_MSnow said...

Wow! That is a long post...but glad you had time to update us all. Elisabeth sees Chloe's pic and says "lilabeth?" I say...No honey...it's Chloe... To which she replies..."Chloe?" :)

Anna said...

That is so sweet, Melanie. I can't believe how similar they actually are. I was noticing that while watching your videos the other day. That must be because they are only a few days apart in age. Sure wish we could see them together. What a hoot that would be!

Anonymous said...

Hello! I just visited your blog and found your crochet site from there.....Both are wonderful. I will be bookmarking them both! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your patterns!

I wanted to let you know that one of the links on your pattern site needs to be 'tweaked'. THe link for the little square doily, which I would LOVE to make, has the colorful bookmark page linked to it....can't remember the names of either....

I thought you would want to know...
i'll be checking back!

P.S....the secret pal gift you send to needle in a haystack was AWESOME...I'll have to try one of those fun exchanges some time.

Have a wonderful Sunday!
SherryB in AZ

Daughter of the King said...

Grace Livingston Hill...she is my favorite or at the top of the list at least.....just finished Matched Pearls

Deby