Saturday, July 21, 2007

SLUDGE

I like coffee. I love my tea, don't get me wrong. But I have to have a cup of coffee every morning and sometimes a cup of decaf after dinner. That is actually how I motivate myself to do the washing up after dinner. I allow myself a cup of decaf coffee only after the entire kitchen is clean. It started out that I would allow myself a piece of dessert but then I found myself not wanting the dessert any more. Just the coffee. I sit with Chloe who receives a little cup of ice cream and I drink my coffee while she eats her dessert. I love this little routine of ours.

The other day I was out and about with a girlfriend who is not so well versed in tea as I. (not that I am an expert or anything...I just like tea) I asked her why she didn't drink more tea and she told me she was more of a coffee person. She then proceeded to inform me that tea is much healthier than coffee and she wanted to start drinking more of it. I asked her why it is more healthy. I shouldn't have done that. I should know better than to ask a question like that. Word to the wise: DON'T EVER ASK A QUESTION IF YOU AREN'T GOING TO LIKE THE ANSWER!

She explained it to me like this...

"You know the stuff in the bottom of your cup after you finish your cup of coffee?"

I said...

"Yes?????" (with a slight increase in fluctuation of my voice that clearly said "Do I want you to continue?")

She replied...

"Well, a friend told me that this is what your insides are covered with when you drink coffee."

Gross!!! That is just wrong. I told you I didn't want to know the answer to that question. And I LIKE coffee. I like it alot. So, here I am...a couple of weeks later...trying to drink a cup of coffee and the only word I can think of each time I take a sip is "sludge". I am drinking "sludge". Many of you already know that I like words. There are many that are my favorites. Sludge is not one of them. I shudder when I hear the word roll off my tongue. It is horrible horrible word. Of course it rhymes with fudge which happens to be a purely delightful word, but for the life of me I cannot think of fudge when I take a sip from my coffee cup. Nope. The only word that comes to my mind is "sludge". Do you think this stops me? Oh no. I drink my sludge, I shudder, I don't enjoy my coffee quite as much as I used to BUT...I keep on drinking it. Why? Why I ask you? I don't know. Maybe I have a little addiction.

So now I am off to drink another cup of coffee, cover my insides in gross, black sludge and start cleaning my house. We might have a little adventure today so I need to get the house cleaned before we leave. Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

4 comments:

Lady_MSnow said...

Have you ever thought about making cold brew coffee...maybe you wouldn't have that "sludge".

Chie said...

Hi Anna,
First of all, I must say I LOVE your crochet designs. You are such a talented lady!

This post made me laugh because I'm such a coffee person as well. :)
I have my evening cup of coffee for the same reason as yours!

Lace-lovin' Librarian - Diane said...

I just leave the last little bit of sludge, rinse my cup, then have another! If the "sludege" has rinsed down the drain, it can't be in me! Have you ever noticed that tea can also leave some nasty looking residue at the bottom of the cup? Also, and I may be wrong about this, I believe tea has more caffeine than coffee. I say, "Coffee lovers, drink up!" : )

Lea said...

This is exactly why my uncle drinks a glass of baking soda water once a month.. he figures if it cleans his coffee pot then it will clean him too LOL