Sunday, August 19, 2007

Interpretation of Vintage

My question of the week is "What is Vintage?". I think I am going to have to do a word study for vintage since I have found myself really struggling with this word lately. My recent fixation with sewing has not waned. I am still going strong. (although this past week has been a little LESS strong due to my busyness with Bible School at church and the opening of the Autumn Round of Secret Pals over at the ville)

I can't seem to get enough of the style of the 50's. Gosh...I just look at those dresses and drool starts dripping out of my mouth. My mother mentioned to me this week that she is so glad she doesn't have to deal with gloves and high heels everytime she wants to leave her house. I almost died right there. I would LOVE to leave my house in gloves and high heels everyday. Boy...that would be like a dream come true. (oh...don't even get me started with Victorian or Edwardian dress...don't even go there)

So, I have been scouring Ebay for vintage sewing patterns. More specifically dresses from the 50's. (and some from the 40's as well) But when I type in the word "vintage" in my search for vintage sewing patterns, do you wanna know what comes up? (I bet you don't, but I'll tell you anyways) I get things from the 70's (okay...okay...so I can almost see that. ALMOST!) from the 80's (clearly NOT vintage) and even a few things from the 90's (huh???) 1990's people. Not 1890's.

What on earth classifies something as vintage? I am majorally confused here. To me, vintage means 50's or earlier. I can sometimes convince myself that 60's is vintage but that is really stretching it for me. Am I wrong? Am I just plain weird? How on earth did something that happened less than 10 years ago become vintage? My philosophy is this. If I can remember the era its not vintage. (and I am not that old...so its not my age that is the issue here)

Be prepared for a SLEW of sewing projects this coming up week. Oh...and quite possibly some...shhhhh....crochet...quite possibly, quite possibly. I may even get around to finishing Chloe's knit sweater. It only needs blocked and sewn but do you think I take the 10 minutes neccessary to do this? Huh. Guess I need a swift kick or something.

Have a wonderful Sunday evening everyone! Its going to be a delightful week.

2 comments:

B said...

Oh! I'm hoping this is a delightful week and that you have fun with all your sewing and a little bit of crochet!
As far as vintage goes, I'm having a hard time thinking of anything from the 70's, 80's ro 90's as vintage! It would be like muic from the 90's being on an oldies station!

DixieRedHead said...

I love those older patterns as well. Esp, doily patterns from the 40ies & 50ies. Vintage means over 25 yrs old now, if my memory serves me correctly. Maybe we could coin a term with extra-vintage? for 50ish items.LOL