Friday, September 21, 2007

Suzy HomeMaker

It is official. I AM Suzy B. HomeMaker.

I have been called by that name many times in my lifetime. (well, only in my 9 years of marriage, actually) While I secretly harbour proud thoughts in my heart (or mind, since that is where most thoughts occur) whenever someone mentions this noble title in conjuction with my name, I must say that I actually didn't consider myself accomplished enough in homemaking to be worthy of such a name.

Until yesterday.

I have done many things that might be considered "Suzy HomeMaker"-ish. Cooking my food from scratch. Making homemade bread, cookies and cakes. Making Christmas gifts. Knitting. Crocheting. Running my own business from my home. Gardening. Vacumning. Dusting. Hanging the clothes on the line. Using cloth diapers. All those things are lovely, but doing them didn't make me feel like Suzy HomeMaker.

Until yesterday.

As my sewing machine was plugging away making 3 little dresses for Chloe, it hit me. THIS is Suzy HomeMaker. SEWING!!! In my mind, sewing is what makes Suzy HomeMaker...well...Suzy HomeMaker. Now I can proudly say, "Yes, that's me!" when someone calls me by that noble woman's title. And someday...yes, someday, I would like to meet the original Suzy HomeMaker (for I KNOW she is a real person) and I would like to show her the following projects. (or at least pictures of them)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I made 3 of these dresses yesterday in assembly line fashion. They are a very easy dress but a tad bit time-consuming from all the gathering. I don't mind gathering though. I actually kind of like it (aside from the time-consuming part) because the seams don't HAVE to match up. I get to MAKE them match up by gathering them to fit. Ahhh...how simple. I hate it when seams don't match up and then you have to make a "pretend" gather where there isn't supposed to be a gather. So when the pattern calls for gathering, I breath a sigh of relief knowing IT WILL MATCH UP!!!


So, the pattern I used is Simplicity 5695 The pink fabric in the dress above was actually bought FOR this pattern. The other fabric was leftover from a skirt I cut out the other day for myself. I just love having matching clothes. Call me weird, I don't care. Its motherhood. Does weird, sappy things to you.

Anyways, the skirts aren't going to be made until at least next week. But the other dress I made Chloe is on her today (yay...no more naked bottoms peeking out from under dresses) so I snapped a picture of her.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I can hardly wait to get more sewing projects done, but alas, the crocheted dress for my customer must be finished so I will be working on that today. Hopefully I will get it done today so I can show it to you all. No promises though. We all know what happens when I promise something. Have a great day everyone!

8 comments:

amy said...

yay Anna!!!!!!!! Chloe looks adorable! The dresses turned out so pretty, I can't believe you made that much in one day. Beautiful work Suzy!

Lady_MSnow said...

So cute! I love the dress. :)

Christine said...

Chloe looks precious! You are so talented; you go Suzy Homemaker! Blessings!

Debra said...

Chloe looks so adorable. I have written the pattern down- it is cute.

Anonymous said...

Chloe's dress looks great! You have truly been keeping yourself busy. I loved reading what you've been up to for the last few weeks ;)
With Love, Beth

busyHSmom said...

Very cute. Your talk about sewing skirts made me think of a book I can highly recommend: Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics. You can find it on Amazon or at Barnes and Noble. It is great because it shows you how to use your measurements and make your own custom skirts. I know, sounds complicated, but it's not!

Oh, and I have not been around much. I haven't blogged in ages...just been too busy with my kids and sick mom, etc, etc. But it is nice to check back in on you and see what you are up too. Your sewing skills are growing by leaps and bounds. Another great sewing book is: Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects. I just added it to my library and I can't wait to try some of the projects.

(((((HUGS))))) sandi said...

Such lovely dresses! I wanna be a Suzy Homemaker, too! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Daughter of the King said...

First time at your blog....looking for a BASIC crochet pattern for a scarf...when I say basic ...I mean basic?????any hints
Deby