Thursday, November 08, 2007

Recent Projects

Just because I have been absent from the blogging world for quite some time doesn't mean I wasn't busily making things. You all know me. No matter how far down my little hole I climb, I will ALWAYS create things. Whether by my own design or someone else's pattern. I just can't control myself when it comes to crafting. Its something in my soul.

So, I thought I would briefly show you a few things I have worked on in the past month. First, I sent a package to my secret pal over at the ville. I made a few of my utmost favorite dishcloths for her. I adore this pattern. Guess what the name is? My Favorite Dishcloth. Fitting. Very fitting. I couldn't have named it better myself. I am sorry but the link for this pattern is gone from crochet pattern central so I don't have it anymore.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I actually have made quite a few more of these simple dishcloths in the past month but I figured once you've seen one picture there probably isn't much point in showing you 5 pictures of the same dishcloth in multiple colors. So, I spared you the misery.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I also crocheted her a capelet from the book Amazing Lace Crochet. She likes "Americana" colors but I didn't have enough of any one color to finish the capelet so I did it in three colors. I used TLC Amore yarn from my stash. I like the feel of this yarn but I don't like working with it. I probably won't be buying much more of it in the future. It will definately keep her warm though, despite the laciness of the capelet.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I am pretty excited about the above item. It is a crochet hook case. I really enjoyed sewing this. A fun little project that only took me a couple of hours. I have cut out a dress for Chloe using this Raggedy Ann fabric and so when I found out my secret pal loves Raggedy Ann, I just KNEW I HAD to sew her a Raggedy Ann hook case. It turned out adorable. Now I just need a couple for myself to put my collection of hooks in.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Yes. That's it. That's the one. I finished the Thanksgiving Harvest Ensemble for a customer order and got it mailed out to her. I learned a couple of things while making this ensemble.

1. Charge more money for larger children's dresses than I do for baby sized dresses. I actually didn't make any profit on this dress because of the amount of yarn I had to purchase to complete it.

2. I won't be using cotton yarn for such a large dress anymore. I must stick with acrylic. The weight of the dress really pulls the cotton yarn down after you wash it.

3. Make sure I order enough yarn at one time. I had to make three different yarn orders to get enough yarn to complete this dress. That really added alot of time onto the project and gave me less time to actually crochet it.

And guess what!!! I have a second dress order. Yay! This time I will be making my Angel Lace Ensemble for a guy James works with. I have 3 weeks to get it done before he leaves the country to go back home. I can do it though. I know I can!!! I am confident in myself.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


One problem I have with designing is that I order yarn for a project not knowing how much yarn its going to take. Such was the case with the above sweater. I ran out of yarn. I thought 10 balls would be enough, but as you can see...I am one sleeve short. It is much cuter on me than it looks in the picture. I have never made a wearable for an adult before (unless you count shawls and capes...I don't) I wanted it to be more "fitting" than the normal crocheted sweaters I see. I wanted it to be warm as well. I think I did a good job. Just wait until I have it finished so you can see it on me. Then you will see what I am talking about when I say "fitting". I am pleased with it. It will be very warm come cold weather season. I used KnitPicks Telemark wool. Yummy. Warm. Perfect! This color is called Pesto and I thought...umm...YES...it does indeed remind me of pesto. A darker pesto. Interesting.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I am so good. That I am. I have started on Christmas. Aren't I good?? The above is a bath set I crocheted for my neice in Papua New Guinea. I just love these bath sets. Such a neat gift idea.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Also included in this family's package will be these ornaments and Christmas Doily I finished up this morning. I have to tell you...crocheting a doily in white and red is a fun experience in and of itself. I could literally taste peppermint as I was crocheting. It took me two days to finish this doily because I had to keep putting it down for a while just to stop the drool from running down my chin onto the doily. Every once in a while I could almost smell the peppermint coming from the thread. Isn't that amazing? If you would like a freshness while crocheting, I encourage you to crochet a red and white doily. It will freshen your breath for sure.

Okay. The name of this doily is Captain's Wheel and is found in The Ultimate Doily Book.

I will try to get a picture of the doily after it is finished drying.

We have also started our Christmas baking. Our first cookie this year was just a simple chocolate chip cookie. But hey! Can't go wrong with chocolate chip cookies, can you? I don't think so.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I hope that licking beaters will always bring fond childhood memories for Chloe. I know it does for me. So, into the freezer went the cookies and now I am ready for something a little more...ummm...Christmassy. I am thinking fudge...or caramel corn...or fudge...

I have a few other sewing projects I finished as well but I forgot to take pictures of them. What I have left in my house I will have to photograph for you all and show them to you. I am off to sew one last thing for my brother's package so I can ship it off to Papua New Guinea tomorrow. Just you wait and see what I have up my sleeve this time. I am thinking it will be my main Christmas present next year for everyone!!! Such a cute idea.

Have a great day everyone! God bless you all as you begin your Christmas preperations.

2 comments:

Lady_MSnow said...

I can't wait to see the finished sweater...it looks great. The doily is beautiful...and...that apron that Chloe is wearing is just fabulous! ;)

laralou said...

So glad to see you back and well. I love all the fos and soon-to-be fos. I am super inspired. I haven't even allowed myself to think Christmas gifts yet.