Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Listen Up!

The other night I was sitting on my couch crocheting. James was out for the evening and I felt like reading the Bible. One problem. I still wanted to crochet. What a choice that was set before me. If I choose to crochet, that would appear like I was putting it before God. If I choose to read the Bible, I wouldn't get my "work" done for the day. (I had already had my "devotions earlier that day)

Suddenly, an idea hit me. Why not listen to the Bible? Fantastic! I immediately "googled" audio bible online and found a NIV version of the Bible.

Now it took me a few minutes to gather my wits about me and actually hear the Bible. The voice...oh the voice. It sounded like that announcer guy for movie previews. You know that voice. The voice that makes everything so terribly exciting that you just have to watch the movie? Yup. That was the voice reading Hebrews chapter 1 to me. Not only that, but it was set to music. Yup. The same music behind the movie preview voice. I spent the whole of Hebrews 1 chuckling to myself. Needless to say, I had to listen to the chapter again...

Once I got over the initial, movie-going excitement, I actually enjoyed listening to the Bible. I was able to crochet away mindlessly while taking to heart God's message. Sometimes I prayed before hitting the next chapter. Sometimes I just listened to the next chapter immediately. It was great. I think I will do this more often.

2 comments:

Crochetingangel said...

What a wonderful idea, I would've never thought of anything like this. Thanks for the info.

Bella said...

What an awesome idea!! I wouldn't have thought of it either. See?? It is possible to do two things you absolutely love at the same time! xo