Thursday, February 21, 2008

About the Sheep

John 10:14
"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me"


Growing up in a Christian home, I am familiar with many passages from the Bible. Passages like the one above. Even the whole first half of John chapter 10. Its a very nice chapter. One of those passages that makes any Christian go "Ahhhhhh" and then a warm, fuzzy feeling enshrouds their heart. Yes, I know that feeling and I usually get it each time I read that verse. Ahhhh...my Shepherd knows me. Ahhhh...how nice is that??? Ahhhhh, yes. A comforting verse, right? *sigh*

I read this verse for my devotions last night. I left it at just that one verse. Then I laid down and thought about this verse and prayed for some meaning from it. What could I take away from reading this simple verse.

A question entered my head. "Do you know Me?"

What? Who said that?

"Do you know Me?"

Of course I know you God. Your...well...your God, after all.

"How well do you know me? Do you know me like a sheep knows its shepherd?"
Well, I hadn't thought of that before, Lord. Let me think on this. I'll get back to you.

John 10:3-4
"The watchman opens the gate for him [the shepherd], and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice."


Then I read this verse this morning, trying to get a better grasp on what God was telling me. He said it again.

"Do you know me? Do you know my voice?"

Okay Lord, I could know you better. I want to know you better. Is that what you are getting at here?

"If you know me, then follow me."

That was it. I got it. A sheep knows its shepherd's voice because a sheep is with the shepherd everyday. A sheep follows the shepherd. It goes where the shepherd calls it to go. So, now I guess I better get to know my Shepherd more.

4 comments:

Karly said...

This verse could be so simple because it is so familiar, and therefore could be overlooked. But, in my hurried days, I often don't hear (ignore? don't pay attention to?) His voice enough to follow Him.

Thank you for allowing the Lord to speak through you to me today.

Lady_MSnow said...

Thank you so much for sharing. This is such a wonderful thing to be reminded of. Blessings to you. :D

Bella said...

It's amazing that you just wrote about this. Two days ago I was listening to an on-line sermon, and it was all about knowing the voice that you hear. Trusting it and following it. In other words, knowing God's voice, knowing to trust Him, and FOLLOW Him as he leads you. Wow.. I see now that He is reminding me of that very same message.

Lara said...

Listening is so hard because life is so distracting now. Thanks for the reminder to stop and spend time with Him so that I better listen when He speaks.