Friday, February 22, 2008

Hyacinth Bucket

I've always felt that I should have been born in England. Well, after we lived in England, that is. Before then, I only knew I should have been born at least 100 years ago. Or, maybe its 150 years ago. I'm not sure the exact year, but I do know that I am a tad bit old-fashioned in my mannerism and deportment. Well, upon moving to England, I realized I was not as old-fashoined as I thought. I was just born in the wrong country. England is civilized. They do things the right way. Er...I mean Proper way.

I found a beautiful book today written by Hyacinth Bucket. You should read this book. (its online) We could all learn a bit from dear Miss Bucket about how to serve guests in our homes.

Hyacinth Bucket's Book of Better Class
British Cookery
(for the socially unfortunate)


More specifically, you should read Chapter 5 on Tea. A very useful chapter if you are interested in entertaining guests for tea. Now I am off to figure out how to make Scones without sugar. Impossible? Well, I guess I shall have to wait until James arrives home with my sugar. In the meantime, I think I will make some Cowboy Candy Bars. They only call for brown sugar, which I have. Have a great afternoon...and don't forget to have yourself a good cup of tea.

P.S. the above book is best read with a British accent. If you don't have one, that's okay. Just read it normally. But if you do have one, it would be better that way.

2 comments:

Ashlie said...

I'm definitely gonna have to check out that book! By the way, I tagged you for a meme on my blog!

(((((HUGS))))) sandi said...

OH how FUNNY! I LOVE "Keeping Up Appearances"! ROFLOL! I didn't know Hyacinth had a book~I'll DEFINITELY hafta check it out!

BTW~Your aprons are sooo GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE aprons! Will the adult fit a plus-sized mamma though? (((((HUGS))))) sandi~what is WIM?