Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Perfectly Packable Plane Project

While fingering the fabrics in my scrap tote back home, I dug deeper and deeper into the giant tote and found a delightful treasure in the very bottom. Yo-yo's. I have not seen them in years. My mother had a scrap craft book she let me browse through as a teenager and I saw a yo-yo baby blanket and decided that I wanted to make one for myself. My mother taught me how to cut the circles and sew them together. That faze lasted for approximately 50 yo-yo's and the ziplock baggie slowly made its way to the bottom of the scrap tote to oblivion.

When I found it, I immediately thought "plane ride project". I packed it into my carry on and worked on them a bit on the plane ride. As I was stitching, I knew it was the perfect plane project because I didn't need any scissors. The only items neccessary are circles (which are cut out beforehand from scrap fabric) and a needle and thread. I cut the thread with my teeth which is why I don't need scissors.

Well, while at my mother's house last week, she let me finger through her scrap tote and I cut out a ton more circles to make a ton more yo-yo's.

Photobucket


And my current yo-yo pile.

Photobucket


I've been working on them in the evenings and whenever I have a few minutes with nothing to do. (like when I am waiting on the pages to load on this dial-up internet) My darling mother even gave me the original book that the idea came from because I loved it so much. I can't wait to make some of the projects from it with my scraps when I get home.

I looked up the baby yo-yo quilt and it said I would need 250 yo-yo's for that size. The pile above contains approximately 100. I guess I need about 1,000 of these suckers to make a full size quilt. Hmmm...wonder if I will ever finish the thing...

Well, I am off now to visit a friend and have a lovely cup of tea in a tea room here in town. This tea room was not in existence when I lived here so I am a litte excited to see it. I'll try to remember to take pictures to show you all. Have a lovely day.

4 comments:

my house by the river said...

Dear Anna,

Yo-yo's are great. They can be made pretty much into anything...a tote, a pillow, a quilt.

Enjoy making your project and also enjoy your visit.

Many blessings,

mari

Debra said...

I love the yo-yo's.. they are my favorite little thing. I have yo yo templates that make it even easier- but you do need scissors. Go to joann's and ask for yo-yo maker. I have done them both ways and it is much quicker with the maker.
Hope you have fun at the tea room..
My blog is now integrated into my website- http://myvintagehome.com
hugs,debra

Lara said...

I love the idea of a yo-yo quilt. I have seen some fabric at Hobby Lobby in the upholstery bolts that is just yo-yo's sewn together in pinks and purples. I always try to figure out what I could do with it.

You can get a Clover yarn cutter pendant for the plane if you wanted to crochet. I have even taken nail clippers past the security gate several times. Either one of those would work to cut thread if you didn't want to use your teeth.

Lady_MSnow said...

I have always wanted to make yo-yos for projects. When you come for a visit you will have to show me what to do. :D