Saturday, August 16, 2008

No Place Like Home

Thursday morning, at approximately 2:00 am, we walked through our front door. Ahhh...it feels good to finally be home. A month and a half of traveling and living at the mercy of others can sure wear a person out. Now I can eat whatever I want to eat and whenever I want to eat it. I can sleep when I want to sleep and wear my pajamas till noon and email friends just as quickly as I please.

My homecoming, though, was not without blemish. The first thing I noticed when I walked through my front door was the overwhelming aroma of cat. Not the most pleasant smell in the world, let me tell you. (and at 2:00 in the morning to boot) Poor Pattycakes has been holed up here in a closed up house for a month now. No open windows and no air conditioner. You can imagine what that would do with "cat smell". Those of you who know me well know that one thing I cannot abide in a house with pets is the smell of pets. My chief goal in life is to clean my house well enough that no one knows I even own pets. So you can well imagine what I spent my Thursday afternoon doing in addition to unpacking.

The next thing I noticed when I woke up was the fact that there was NO food in the house. I had frozen the milk, butter and all such things like that so I had nothing I could use for breakfast. My dear SIL packed some snacks to take on the plane for us of which we managed to save some leftovers. So for breakfast Thursday we ate granola bars and Yogos. Then we went grocery shopping.

Walking out the back door to the car, I saw my garden. Oh boy, did it look good. A proper jungle. The flowers were blooming, if you could see them from beneath the weeds. If only it wasn't weeds it would look so beautiful. But it IS weeds and now I have a major job to tackle out there.

And the main thing that I noticed when we got home was the lack of James anywhere. Hanging up my clothes in the closet next to his winter sweaters was hard for me. I can feel him hugging me in one of those sweaters and boy...it makes me miss him terribly. Reality hit. Bills needed paid. Floors needed mopped. Furniture needed dusted. And my hubby is not here. I am having a little trouble adjusting to being home again. But not to worry. It STILL feels good to be here. If only I could shake this weird feeling like I am all alone. Maybe I'll go shopping. I have a remodeling project I may attempt this weekend. Chloe's closet!!

Give me a few days and I'll me my old self again. My brain just needs time to wrap around the fact that I am finally home and this is not some dream. Have a lovely weekend everyone. Enjoy your home today! Enjoy the freedoms you have in your own home. Enjoy the people who share your home with you, your loved ones. And thank the good Lord that you have a place to call home.

1 comment:

Lady_MSnow said...

It's so good to know you are home again. :D