Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Get Dizzy and Other Childhood Entertainment

Chloe loves to get dizzy. "I gonna get dizzy", she says as she twirls around as fast as she can for as long as she can before she collapses on the floor in a heap of giggles. Yesterday I happened to catch her on camera.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


And now I want to share a conversation I had with Chloe earlier while I was brushing her teeth. It went like this...

Me: "So, we don't need to buy any groceries tomorrow Chloe. We have plenty for just the two of us. Do you know what that means? We don't have any major errands to run tomorrow. We can just do some fun errands. Would you like to go on some fun errands?"

pause

Me: "It would be fun to do something different tomorrow, wouldn't it? Huh?"

another pause


Me: "So, what would you like to do with Mommy tomorrow that would be fun for you?"

At this Chloe pushed the toothbrush out of her mouth with her tongue.

Chloe: "I can't talk!"

I about died laughing. I couldn't help it. Needless to say, we didn't get much farther with the teeth brushing after that. I just hugged her and laughed.

I let Chloe watch a bit of Thoroughly Modern Millie with me tonight and during the intermission we popped some popcorn. Later, I peeked down at Chloe to see what she was doing on the floor and I saw this....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Is she a cat? a dog? Nope. She is a bunny rabbit. She has picked up this weird notion that she is a rabbit or that she owns a rabbit. (Pattycakes is sometimes the "rabbit" whenever Chloe can catch a hold of her)

I about lost it last night during prayer time though. I am usually pretty good at maintaining my self control in front of Chloe. I believe that there is a time to laugh and a time to refrain from laughing. Prayer time is definately the time to refrain from laughing. But last night, I couldn't help it.

I am teaching Chloe to pray herself. I have her repeat simple sentences after me so she is "praying" as well. After the first two sentences last night she started shouting them. Not terribly loud, mind you, but definately not her indoor voice. Since we were in the midst of the prayer, I didn't want to scold her or anything. But when she kept on I couldn't help it. I tried covering my mouth so I wouldn't accidentally let the laugh escape because heaven only knows what would happen if Chloe caught on to the fact that I thought it was funny to hear her shout her prayers to Jesus. She stopped praying and asked me if I was okay. I managed to suppress the giggle inside and let her know I was okay to continue. I finally had to put my head down on my arms in her bed because I couldn't keep a straight face any longer. No noise came out but I was shaking with suppressed laughter. You could hear the dreadful concern in little Chloe's voice as she asked a second time, "You okay, Mama?"

The floodgates burst opened and I knew in an instant I had lost that battle. We will now be having loud prayers every night until the novelty wears off.

1 comment:

Lady_MSnow said...

Too cute....I don't know that the children pretend to be bunnies too often, but they like to play with their bunny when we get it out...which isn't very often. I know how hard it can be sometimes to maintain composure around the children when you need to be cool and collected. :D