Friday, January 09, 2009

Save the Handmade

Photobucket


Save my business...PLEASE!

A new law is being passed the will not allow small businesses like myself to sell any handmade items for children under the age of 12 without certification that states its lead free. (each item needs to be certified for the cost of $500 to $4,000) I can't afford this.

By Feb 10th, all items for children will have to be removed from my website and my etsy shop or they will be viewed as illegal and I will be heftily fined or imprisioned. Can you believe this?????

I am in shock! I am pleading with everyone who reads this... please, please, please...write your congressman or representative. Get the word out there. We don't have much time and this has GOT to change.

For more information, please visit the Handmade Toy Alliance or click on the button or link above.

3 comments:

Crochetingangel said...

Anna, I know I emailed that one link that day I saw it. I will do a letter today as well. Anything I can do to help. I am so sorry they are doing this. So overboard.

Kim

The Shrone said...

In case you haven't heard, this is one of many e-mail or Internet hoaxes that gets circulated.

A reliable debunking site called Snopes (www.snopes.com) lists this as being false. Read here: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/pending/cpsia.asp

Anna said...

Actually, that link only speaks about reselling used clothes and all it says is that resellers are not required to have the lead/phalates testing done on inventory of used items. This has nothing to do with new items such as I and many other businesses make. According to the law, we will have to test our products that we sell for lead and phalates. Even this snopes website states that this law DOES affect all NEW items made for children under 12. It is not a hoax. It is very serious and something does need to be done.