Monday, February 09, 2009

Custom Order Creation

Have you missed me? You may be wondering where I disappeared to last week...or you may not have. No matter. I will tell you anyways.

I received a custom order for my Spring Blossom dress last week and I immediately got to work. Well, three days into the project I learned a very important lesson that I hope with all my heart will never have to be learned again.

Even the designer of a pattern must crochet a gauge for that pattern. She is not above the rules of tension and sizing.

I found this out when the dress was about 2 inches from being complete. I noticed the dress was slightly disproportioned, which simply means it was about as wide as it was long. I measured the chest circumference at 24". My almost four year old measures at 21". This dress was clearly too large for an 18 month old baby.

Friday morning I frogged the entire dress and started over from scratch. This time I matched the gauge. Today I finished.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I realized as I was uploading these photos that I never showed you the completed Vintage Shell Clutch I crocheted last week, nor any of the zillion tea cozies I've been working on lately. I kind of left you all hanging there, didn't I? opps! I apologize.

Without further ado, I present to you a creamy bit of elegance and lace.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


And don't forget that touch of vintage pink. I used some cream silky fabric my mother gave me for the first lining. On the inside of that lining I attached some interfacing to firm up the clutch. For the inner lining (the part you see on the inside of the clutch) I used some of that divine vintage pink fabric from a vintage dust ruffle. I LOVE that fabric and am so pleased that I STILL have leftovers. I am going to see just how many projects I can use it for. I am telling you...its the most delicious fabric on the planet.

And here is that tangerine tea cozy set I crocheted for a customer about two weeks ago. She picked the bumble bee buttons and I have to say that I agree completely with her choice. They look so much better on this cozy than they would have on the one I intended them to adorn. (I will have to show you that tea cozy tomorrow)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


And that is where I shall leave you tonight. Tomorrow I will try to remember to post more pictures of other tea cozies I made last week. Have a fantastic evening everyone! Its been a beautiful day!

2 comments:

LadySnow said...

The dress is adorable and the clutch is beautiful! I love it. Very elegant. :-)

Sarah said...

I am in love with the hat, and I only hope my clutch looks half as lovely as yours. You do such beautiful work.