Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Tad Bit Late or Wee Bit Early

It would depend on how you look at it. If you simply take into account when I had planned on finishing this dress you might assume I am late. The original plan was for this dress to be Chloe's Thanksgiving dress. So, now we must make the decision as to which year the dress was intended for. Naturally, you could assume that since I started it before last Thanksgiving, it would have been for last year. But since I finished the dress last night, you could also assume that this dress was intended for next Thanksgiving. I don't know if I shall tell you which year it was for. She shall wear it next Thanksgiving and that's that. (and its a darn good thing the dress is too big for her so she will be able to wear it next year)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


The button holes gave me so much trouble on this dress. I think its time to take the Bernina to the shop. While sewing the button holes, the machine won't walk my fabric under the presser foot. I am forced to walk it by hand which is a bugger, let me tell you. I put the dress aside for a few months because I ran out of patience. Completely out. It took me all of 15 minutes last night to get the button hole settings back on track and finish the dress.

So, now I am working on a dress I had intended to wear to the airport to pick James up when he flew home from Iraq. (yes...that would have been last October) Again, a simple mishap caused me to set the dress aside for 4 months and which only took me about 10 minutes to fix and move past. So, I aim to finish that dress today and maybe make the pinafore for the dress pictured above. I am already planning out Chloe's birthday dress. I have a little over 4 weeks to get it done. Its going to be pink with loads of lace and I am seeing a bit of ribbon embroidery in my mind's eye. Oh yes. Darling. But your just going to have to trust me on that until I get it started and finished. (Let's just hope its for this year)

7 comments:

LadySnow said...

That dress is darling and I can't wait to see what the pinafore looks like. Now you won't have to worry about anything this thanksgiving. :-)

Anna said...

So true, so true. And I have the fabric that was supposed to be her Christmas dress using this same pattern. I am tempted to just make it now so I will be ahead for next Christmas as well. (and, as we can obviously see, the dress will still fit next Christmas too. LOL.)

Debra said...

I love it!! and doesn't she look adorable!

Sarah said...

Oh! She is a doll! You have some serious skills. See, I have not progressed to that level of artisanship. Some of my things are great, and some need all the help they can get. You are blessed!

Sarah said...

Oh! She is a doll! You have some serious skills. See, I have not progressed to that level of artisanship. Some of my things are great, and some need all the help they can get. You are blessed!

Anna said...

Thank you. I know you could do it too Sarah. This dress was actually fairly easy. Just a lot of steps. If you can follow each step and take your time, you could do it too. I am working on a jacket now that has a tricky part and woah boy...but I can't figure this thing out. That dress was simple after something like this jacket.

Anonymous said...

That is the prettiest Thanksgiving dress i have ever seen! And a very pretty little girl, too, with a beautiful face, a big smile, and curly hair. If I were you, I would go ahead and make the Christmas dress now and if you get stuck on something, then you can put it up and pull it out in a month or so and complete it. I enjoy your blog very much! Sarita in Texas