Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Celebrating Spring

We won't be here much longer. By the end of the year we will be in a new location...and I am hoping for an overseas assignment. I won't tell you where yet because I don't want to ruin the surprise, although if you know us well, we have probably already mentioned the locations to you.

Anyways, due to fact that we might not be here much longer I have decided it imperative that we visit places on the east coast while we still have time. So this weekend we headed to Washington DC for the opening day of the Cherry Blossom Festival. What fun! Chloe thoroughly enjoyed the train ride into the city.

Photobucket


Thank goodness the Family Fun day was inside the National Building Museum since it was a drizzly sort of day out.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


She was a little overwhelmed by the whole thing though. The entire building was filled to the brim with people and kids. They had all sorts of free activities covering the main floor of the building for you to do with your kids and I believe that every single family in the city were crammed around those tables. We painted a bucket hat, decorated a kite and made a Japanese tea house (out of a box) We didn't bother to stand in the long line for face painting. We missed the flower pot decorating because we took too long wandering around decided what to do and they ran out of flowers. (yes...real flowers) We skipped the Japanese calligraphy and the origami paper folding because Chloe said she didn't want to do those. About that time I decided that maybe we had better head out to see the Cherry Blossoms since that was the main thing I wanted to do while we were there.

We passed by the Washington Monument where everyone was flying kites for the Smithsonian Kite festival.

Photobucket


After a great amount of walking we finally made it to the Tidal Basin which is surrounded by Cherry Blossoms. Gorgeous!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


We had a lovely time. It was wonderful to see the sights. Hopefully I will have more traveling adventures to tell you of in the future. Have a lovely afternoon. I am off to clean for a bit.

6 comments:

Jodi said...

Hi Anna! It was so nice to hear from you. Thanks for your comment. How are you sweet friend? I bet Chloe is getting so big. Are you ready for some Yankee baseball? I am going to subscribe to MLB.TV so I can get all of the games. Is that crazy? I know you'd understand. Keep in touch! I've missed you!

LadySnow said...

Those trees look beautiful!

Amy @ Experience Imagination said...

So pretty! I don't think I've ever been to DC in the spring. Summer and Fall only, I guess. I'll have to visit sometime when the blossoms are out. Sounds like you had lots of fun.

Sarah said...

Looks like you all had great fun! Those trees are beautiful! Thank you for posting the photos, they were a lovely treat. I would love to travel more, my husband just likes to stay home.

Anna said...

Oh yes...you should definately go in the spring. These trees are all over. Just gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the allergy free visit to the cherry blossoms, Anna. I love them, but it's hard to take pictures or even enjoy when you're sneezing and have to stop to rub your eyes.

Kathy
losingmymind2@yahoo.com