Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Adoption Quilt Project

We have been praying steadily for a week about where we should adopt from. I have always believed when the time came we would adopt an older child out of the foster care system. One of the things we prayed early on in our decision making process was that God would direct us and lead us to the child he has in mind for our home and love. Part of that leading includes James and I being of one heart and mind in each decision that comes along. We have prayed that we would be united in all this. Well, it only took two days of praying individually and together and we both felt that adopting through the state is not for us.

We have picked a Christian agency and we will be adopting through them. Also, we have chosen an age range of birth through 5. We feel that it would be best not to adopt a child older than Chloe.

With this new decision having been made, now comes the financial aspect of it. Adopting through a private agency is extremely more expensive than through the state. We are talking thousands of dollars more. We could get most of it back through the tax credit afterwards but we still need the money up front. How do we get that money?

Well, we have been toying with some ideas and one of the ideas I had was to sell things to raise the money. I have plenty of scraps and could make a couple of quilts. I don't know that they would be quality enough to sell, but we shall see. With this as my motivation, I sat down today and started working on some nine patches with those 2" squares I cut out last summer. (see...I told you I would use them eventually...)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


So, I don't know if this will work to raise money or not. I don't even know if people actually buy quilts. We shall see. And who really knows if this will be good enough to sell. It is completely made from scraps so there really isn't a rhyme or reason to the pattern or fabric. Any feedback anyone?

5 comments:

LadySnow said...

I think you have a great start Anna. Maybe all your things on etsy could be put towards the adoption costs? I know of a woman you recently adopted from China and posted about it on her store site and such. Just an idea. :-)

Lis said...

oh Anna! Praying for you always, and no specifically for your growing family!

yes, i believe quilts still do sell! i'd suggest etsy of course or even a local farmer's market. the one here in bellingham at least includes many home-crafted wares as well.

Shannon said...

Just a suggestion, but I would probably find smaller things to make with your quilt pieces. Household things, purses, that kind of stuff. My Great Aunt is a major quilter and has won awards for her quilts, but she has told me many times that most regular size quilts just will not sell.

Not trying to discourage you, but just saying that to possibly have you steer your quited pieces in another direction because I know how much time it takes to make one.

As for raising money, I have read about people who organize spaghetti dinner sales or raffles at their church to raise money their their adoption. I know that you are religous and involved in a church, so you might see about looking into something like that too.

I think it's a great thing you and your husband are doing. I've always planned to adopt, but the circumstances have not been right for that yet. However, I've had several family memembers who were adopted along with several friends who have adopted children, so I've seen what a great thing that can be for families.

Not sure if you would be interested, but you might find some good info about fundraising and general adoption help at this forum: http://www.soulcysters.net/adoption-option/

Note that the entire forum is for a health issue called PCOS. However, the above url is for the adoption forum there. I saw some useful info on fundraising there the other day that you might want to read.

Amy @ Experience Imagination said...

I don't know if you read Owlhaven, but Mary recently did a series on the adoption stories for her kids (they have 10 all together, 4 bio kids and 6 adopted internationally).

Here is the link to her post about how they were able to pay for the adoptions.

Lisa said...

Hi Anna,
We have four biological daughters and one special needs daughter from China. We adopted her 2 1/2 years ago when she was almost 5 years old. Many adoptive families make a "Hundred Wishes" quilt where they receive squares from friends and family members and assemble into a quilt. Maybe you could make a smaller, wall hanging type size one and they could pick colors/themes? Feel free to e-mail me with any questions! Also...finally started to crochet my own apron after doing the four for my daughters! Thanks for the pattern!
Blessings,
Lisa