Saturday, June 06, 2009

Monkey Cake

While I was quite pleased with my little fondant monkey, I have to be honest and say I am not pleased at all with the over all cake. It didn't turn out anything like what I had pictured in my head. The colors of green are all wrong. The leaf tip (number 67) didn't work right and a girlfriend recommended a different tip (number 351) for the leaves and I am not pleased with it. I have not mastered that tip yet and while it looked good on my practice board, once I transferred to the cake the skill was lost. The leaves just look like triangle blobs with points. Also, I am still struggling with getting the icing nice and smooth. I even tried the water on my spatula trick and that didn't work.

Anyways, I promised pictures of the cake so here it is. My only prayer is that the lady whom this cake is for will love it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Well now...I am off the spend the evening relaxing with the family. Its movie and popcorn night and possibly some hamburgers on the grill. Have a fabulous weekend.

7 comments:

Amy @ Experience Imagination said...

It's adorable! I'm sure she'll love it. And, I think the shorter, squattier money look more baby-like than a taller, slimmer one would.

LadySnow said...

Well...I think it is absolutely adorable!

Shannon said...

I like the cake and especially the monkey. I understand what you mean about the green not being tropical like, as you would expect for monkeys, but since this is a baby cake, I really think a darker green would be too much.

I don't know what kind of food coloring you're using to color the icing, but if you haven't tried the Wilton paste colors, try some of that. It has a lot more pigment in it than food coloring from the grocery store. Just use a bit on a toothpick and keep adding more into the icing until you get the color you want.

I've never been successful at getting the icing smooth either, so no tricks on that. I know that there is a scraper thing Wilton makes that is supposed to help. For me, when I need smooth icing, I ask my mom or a friend to do that. They don't understand why I can't get it right, but my icing on the cake is a mess. When I can't get help, I just do the stars all over the cake or cover it with a basketweave. For a monkey cake, I also think some "grass" with that grass/hair tip would be nice too. Can't remember the number, but it's the one with all the little holes to make the icing come out like spaghetti.

Don't get discouraged though. You haven't been making cakes for a really long time, so it takes practice to get good. I've learned that for anyone who doesn't know anything about how to decorate cakes, just the fact that you've done something out of the ordinary is impressive to them. I know your friends have to be excited to get these creations.

Anna said...

Thanks guys. I used all Wilton products for the cake Shannon. I used the Wilton colors and also the spatula thing. I had contemplated using the grass tip (I have that one too) but forgot about it come time to ice the cake.

After sleeping on it (not literally) I felt much better about the cake Sunday morning.

Shannon said...

I've seen professional cake bakers use that spatula scraper thing and have considering buying it. Thanks for letting me know that you used it so I won't buy it. My regular icing looks horrible with major crumbs it it, but my friends or mom always help since they get to eat cake too. :)

I'm glad you are feeling better about your cake because it really is cute!

Anna said...

Well, I found it works MUCH better than a butter knife...which is what I was using before I bought it. :) I have both sizes but this is only my third or so cake using them, so it is possible I just haven't mastered it yet.

Laurie said...

That monkey is adorable! I enjoyed stumbling upon your Blog this vacation morning...