Thursday, September 17, 2009

Choosing Joy

In the midst of our trials, God asks us to choose joy, keeping our eyes focused on Him.

James 1:2
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds,"


and

Romans 12:12
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction and faithful in prayer."


Yes, sirree. I would consider that to be what God asks of me. Last night, I stretched across my bed with Chloe lying next to me. I placed my hand on her back and prayed for my dear little one. I prayed for healing. I prayed for peace. I prayed for wisdom. But most of all, I prayed for joy through this time. I picked up my Bible and God led me to Psalm 98.

"Sing to the LORD a new song,
for he has done marvelous things;
his right hand and his holy arm
have worked salvation for him.

The LORD has made his salvation known
and revealed his righteousness to the nations.

He has remembered his love
and his faithfulness to the house of Israel;
all the ends of the earth have seen
the salvation of our God.

Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth,
burst into jubilant song with music;

make music to the LORD with the harp,
with the harp and the sound of singing,

with trumpets and the blast of the ram's horn—
shout for joy before the LORD, the King.

Let the sea resound, and everything in it,
the world, and all who live in it.

Let the rivers clap their hands,
Let the mountains sing together for joy; let them sing before the LORD,
for he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world in righteousness
and the peoples with equity."


Oh how great is our God that He gives us the very words we need to hear when we need to hear them most. I sang a couple of praise songs to Him. (I wanted to shout but felt that Chloe might startle if my voice rose above a loud whisper, so I kept the shouting inside my heart.)

Even still, sleep eluded me. I eased myself off the bed and headed to the sewing/craft room to feel inspired. That's when it hit me. I need a laugh. A good, tummy-rumbling, body-shaking laugh. I searched for a certain crochet pattern I recently purchased and the yarn to complete the project I had in mind. Yes, this project would bring laughter to my lips. Just peeking at the pattern brought forth a couple of chuckles.

How can you not laugh when you see a rubber chicken?

Photobucket


Just to bring a smile to my face, this rubber chicken might find himself located in such places as the lampshade...

Photobucket


...the teapot...

Photobucket


...or the curtain where he now rests.

Photobucket


In spite of the hardships I face, I am choosing joy. I am choosing to laugh. Sometimes that laughter comes in the form of comedy. I about died laughing when I watched this video my husband sent me this morning.



How priceless after I crocheted a rubber chicken for myself. Yes, laughter. Sheer laughter, rumbling in my belly. Enough to keep my mind off my troubles for a few moments.

But let's not forget the real joy. The joy that stems from salvation! God offered His salvation to me and nothing, nothing, NOTHING replaces or takes away the joy of that salvation. It is time for me to tickle the tummy of a little one who also could use a bit of joy in her life. Have a great day and don't forget to Be Joyful!

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh my!! You have got to teach me how to make that chicken!! I love it and the joy you found today!

minivanlife said...

Rubber Chicken?!!!! That's so great! Where on earth did you come across a pattern like that? Sounds like a great little item to add to my son's christmas stocking. Glad you found some laughter!

http://minivanlife.wordpress.com

Sarah said...

The chicken is priceless! Goodness girl, you are flying, I can't keep up! Lol. I need to subscribe. :)

Amy @ Experience Imagination said...

Too funny! Where on earth did you find this pattern? I might have to make one of these ... eventually, once all the baby and Christmas crafting is done.