Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Homefront News

We arrived home late last night from our Thanksgiving adventures (more on those adventures soon to appear in another post, complete with pictures). I learned some things during this trip that I thought I would put down in words. Partly because putting them into words will help me sort through the scads of items wandering around in my brain and partly because they might be of some interest to you. Okay...that last part might be stretching things a bit, but I just never know. It could happen.

Inspiration hit me full force on this trip. I found many inspiring nudges pushing me in the right direction. I will attempt to lasso them and put them down here.

1 - Contentment. I read a definition of contentment that inspired me. "Realizing that God has provided everything that I need for my present happiness." If this had slapped me in the face, it couldn't have hurt worse. Boy oh boy. Talk about instant conviction.

1 Timothy 6:8
But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.


I have been sitting in my own holding pattern for a few months, since James left for his deployment. I wait for the time when he returns and I can start living again. But after reading the above definition, I realize that I should be content with whatever station of life I find myself in...and currently that means husband-less. God still asks that I live. Hmmm...much to think about. Yes, and too much to put it all into words right now. But you get the drift.

2 - Cleanliness. I could also write laziness here. The past few months have been lazy sort of months for me. Broadsided by unfortunate circumstances which I would not have chosen for myself left me feeling sort of...well...lazy. Bad habits formed quickly. These bad habits built themselves upon already established bad habits to create one giant lazy beast. ME! Well, after seeing my mother work hard from morning to night in her own home, and hardly able to keep up with it all in her older age, I found myself feeling rather sheepish when I thought of my own home and the state of cleanliness I keep it in.

Today, I woke up and got busy cleaning the house. I had purchased a kitchen rug from Walmart when we lived in Lousiana and this rug reacted to the floor in our current house negatively. The first time I mopped my floor I lifted the corner of the rug and found it adhered to the floor in a couple of places. Laziness took over my being and I left the rug where it was. For the past three years I have swept and mopped around this rug, procrastinating on the inevitable. Today, I tackled that rug, which had adhered itself entirely to the floor in a 3 year time span. (yes, I know...I should have tackled this 3 years ago and I only would have had to clean a few spots instead of the entire area) The rug found its way to the trash can out back and my floor now shines brightly up at me. I also polished my kitchen table and chairs. I haven't done that since we moved in 3 years ago.

3 - Competence. I am a competent person, or at least I like to think so. Lately though, I have not acted as such. I threw myself a pity party. Things around the house seem to be falling apart and I have left them for days, weeks, months on end for James to arrive home and be my hero. Well, who says a girl can't fix a toilet! I can hammer in a nail myself. I can find the wrench and tackle things myself.

The dishwasher went out today. Tomorrow I shall call the insurance company to get a dishwasher fixer person to come and fix it. I CAN use the phone myself. I really can. I am competent. So, maybe the toilet proved a little beyond me. I broke it while trying to change out the plug thingie and will now have to toddle down two flights of stairs in the middle of the night to tinkle. But hey! At least I tried. And if push came to shove, I could probably even fix this problem on my own. God created a brain inside my noggin and after I wipe off the dust I am quite positive it will still run.

Well, now that I've got that out of my system I suppose its time for me to tackle those supper dishes...by hand.

2 comments:

Lindy said...

Good for you! THe laziness one really spoke to me. (Or cleanliness). I just can't seem to pick up after myself. I can't be mad if nobody else puts the dishes in the dishwasher since I don't even do it myself until they are all piled up. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving and keep up the good work!

Nancy said...

Good observations, Anna, obviously from the Lord. I liked your comment about "then I can start living again" and then realizing you need to be living life to the fullest all the time. I think as you learn to do this with Christ living through you, you will be greatly used in the lives of other military wives who are struggling with this.
Nancy