Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Living On Purpose

"Without a clear purpose you have no foundation on which you base decision, allocate your time, and use your resources. You will tend to make choices based on circumstances, pressures, and your mood at that moment. People who don't know their purpose try to do too much - and that causes stress, fatigue, and conflict.

It is impossible to do everything people want you to do. You have just enough time to do God's will. If you can't get it all done, it means you're trying to do more than God intended for you to do (or, possibly, that you're watching too much television). Purpose-driven living leads to a simpler lifestyle and a saner schedule."
- Rick Warren (The Purpose Driven Life)


What is my purpose? To honor and glorify God, to bring Him pleasure. To be a godly helpmeet to my husband. To raise my daughter in the knowledge of my Lord and Savior according to the Scriptures. These are what God has called me to do. They are the tasks He has assigned to me.

"If you want your life to have impact, focus it! Stop dabbling. Stop trying to do it all. Do less. Prune away even the good activities and do only that which matters most. Never confuse activity with productivity. You can be busy without a purpose, but what's the point?"
- Rick Warren


It amazes me how energized I feel when I live according to God's purpose for my life. When I cut out all the unnecessary activities I am compelled to add. And why? Why do I add these activities into my life? To please people. Yes. I am one of those. A people-pleaser. I like friends. I want friends. I want friends who like me back. I sometimes go out of my way to please them. But, if going out of my way to please people causes me to step outside the purpose God has for me, then eventually I am going to feel downtrodden and weary. The only one I should be worried about pleasing is my Lord. I cannot always please man. I will do things that my friends will not like while I am in the middle of trying to do something in hopes they will like it.

So, lately I have been focusing on my life purpose. Many may question why I say no to so many wonderful opportunities. Why I stay home so often instead of attending "church" functions. Why I don't attend more playdates for Chloe. Why I don't join more activities for women. The answer to those questions lies in the quotes above. If by attending all these wonderful functions and activities geared to "help" me I stop living according to the purpose God has willed for me, then I am filling my life with needless stress, fatigue and conflict.

On the other hand, if I am living according to God's purpose for my life, He gives me the strength I need to endure. He becomes my mainstay and I run to Him when I find myself in need of refreshment. He fills me up with contentment to live the life He has given me to live.

I love my life. I love my purpose. God gave me the easiest man to help. He really is a dream. God also gave me the most precious girl in the world who I adore spending my days with. I couldn't ask for a better life. I couldn't ask for a better purpose. I am content with the one I have been given.

No comments: