Friday, February 12, 2010

What a Good Girl!

Happily I announce what a good girl I've been. Oh, I doubted myself a time or two during the past couple of days, but my goodness triumphed and I have many delightful things to showcase because of my sheer perseverance and dedication to my goal.

"What on earth are you talking about?"

I figured you'd ask that. Remember that gorgeous blue cotton yarn I purchased Tuesday? Do you recall my mentioning the rule I gave myself in order to be able to splurge and allow that yarn to journey home with me? The birthday dress must be finished FIRST and I also must complete four other projects from my WIP pile or my sewing room before I could allow that deliciously soft yarn the privilege of running through my fingers.

It proved difficult.

Very difficult.

But I did it! I really did it! And more than that too...I finished SIX projects. First, the birthday dress, but that will wait for another post later this evening (it deserves a post all by itself). Then, the never-ending doily finally ended. Yes, I wove in every single end and I even blocked it. She is DONE!

Photobucket


Then I added a zipper to this skirt that somehow buried itself in my workbasket before I could catch it and get that zipper attached. I actually forgot about the skirt until I dug out as many WIPS as I could find last weekend. I will be sending this on to a dear missionary friend of mine in Africa. I might see her this summer during her furlough so I will give it to her in person if I get that opportunity.

Photobucket


The blue pile previously located on the floor of my sewing room turned out to be a wrap shirt in a knit for myself. I finished this up in a jiffy. I used Vogue 8390 for this shirt.

Photobucket


Okay. After these items found their way out the door of the sewing room, the real fun began. I picked out a fabric and allowed Chloe to choose one of four patterns to make her a dress. Thank goodness she picked an easy dress. I cut it out and sewed it together in 1 1/2 hours. That must be some kind of record. Granted, the dress lacks its zipper, but that should be remedied tomorrow if I can make it through the snow to Jo~Anns.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Since I finished the above dress with time to spare before bed, I decided to sew up another quick dress. This one proved not quite as quick as the first one. Think gathering. Loads and loads of gathering. I think this is Chloe's favorite so far (although she hasn't seen her finished birthday dress yet).

Photobucket


So, my reward for all this hard work? Ahhhhh...the top I have been dying to crochet. Mary Jane Hall's tangerine top.

Photobucket


This top seems super easy and so I think I can whip it up tonight. That in the picture above is the entire back. The Plymouth Jeannee cotton/acrylic yarn is amazing. Super soft and very pretty. I love working with this stuff. I can see some future projects being worked in various colors with this yarn.

5 comments:

LadySnow said...

Good for you Anna! It all looks good. :-)

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful dresses! I have to ask, what pattern you used for the tiered dress?

Julie

Anna said...

Hi Julie,
I am so sorry to have forgotten to include the pattern numbers for the dresses. I even had them all ready to include in the post. The tiered dress is McCalls 4817. I will have to look up the purple butterfly dress. I have made it a couple times before as a winter jumper out of corduroy.

Sarah said...

Wooo Mama! You are on a roll! You go on with your creative self, lol. The dresses are beautiful and that skirt is gorgeous. The blue wrap top.....is awesome! Very nice. Absolutely fantastic job! Don't you love how quickly Mary Janes patterns work up? I love finishing things, it gives such a sense of accomplishment.

Mary Jane said...

Awh! I hope you do like the top and pattern :) Can't wait to see how it turns out and how you like the fit. Love the blue!
Mary Jane Hall