Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Baking and Knitting

Could anything better possibly fill a day? Throw in a few sloppy kisses from that little sweetheart of mine and a few cuddles from my dear husband and you have the makings of a perfect day. Somehow, yarn and chocolate were just meant to co-exist together. I cannot explain this phenomenon but I delight it in, none-the-less.

Photobucket


Chocolate Truffle Tart.

Need I say more? I think not. Well, maybe just a bit more. I mastered the crust, finally. Yes...the crust tasted buttery with a slightly flaky texture. It wasn't too dry or too moist, but absolutely perfect. I even went so far as to embellish the top with some white chocolate hearts I created on the back of a cookie sheet covered with wax paper. This recipe makes a thiner tart but oh so rich. Worth the effort, definitely!

Photobucket


Sunday, my roasted garlic and cheese bread failed to rise due to overkneading, but yesterday my potato bread wouldn't cease from rising. The loaves cascaded down the sides of the pans. I would laugh if they didn't taste so delicious. James begged for more as potato bread is his utmost favorite. While the above loaf rose and rose and rose, I worked on the last two inches of square number 17.

Photobucket


And then I started square number 18 which I completed last night. A square in one day! This has got to be a record for me. Either the squares are getting easier or I am getting faster at knitting. No, but really. This square was super duper easy.

Photobucket


Chloe asked to be in the picture so it would look like she made the square. I obliged, hoping you all could figure out the truth for yourselves.

Photobucket


When the potato bread vacated the oven we dove right in. Who can wait when warm bread is sitting in front of them? Ohhh...the warm, gooey deliciousness slathered in melting butter. Can you just smell that aroma?

Photobucket

Photobucket


And something tells me, the sampler afghan may just see itself finished this weekend. What, with only two squares left to knit. Yippee! Woo Hoo. Okay. So, I need to buy another skein of simply soft to finish the blue squares. What color should I use to sew the squares together? Blue or tan?

3 comments:

LadySnow said...

I want some of that bread! :-)

Sarah said...

Goodness! The tart looks delicious! and the bread does too! Don't you love the smell of baking bread? There is nothing like warm bread fresh from the oven. I think either color would work well to sew it together.

Do you use an online recipe for the potatoe bread? I have not made that kind before.

Anna said...

I will have to bring you some bread when I come visit Ladysnow. :)

Sarah, the recipe came from my Baking cookbook. I will be posting about it sometime this week. I have a little challenge for myself that I would like to post about. Just a teaser...you will probably be seeing quite a bit of baked goods in the near future.