Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Okay. Cooking from scratch trumps canned food every time, hands down...no questions...the end. They cannot be compared because they are not the same. I don't care who you talk to...Campbells cannot hold a candle to Julia Child's Cream of Mushroom soup.

Photobucket


Just look at those slices of mushrooms floating in my tureen. And those are just on the surface. Below the surface lurks a plethora of mushroomy goodness.

Photobucket


Cream of Mushroom soup happens to be James favorite soup. The man loves mushrooms!

Photobucket


To aid in the preparation process, I decided to measure out all the ingredients beforehand and line them up in the order I would need them. It really did speed things up for me during the cooking process. I didn't have to think, "Oh no...I forgot to slice the mushrooms and my butter is browning in the saucepan!!!" Nope. It was all taken care of.

Photobucket


This is the soup, barely simmering before I strained it. Look at all those stems chunks swimming in there. Such delicious flavor!

Photobucket


I found that a gloomy, dark, cloudy day is the perfect day to serve Cream of Mushroom soup. And my entire family enjoyed it. Even Chloe! (who asked for seconds)

Photobucket

Photobucket


It was such a cool day yesterday I was able to open the windows and freshen the air. What a lovely gift. I sure appreciated the fresh breeze. So did the kitties. They each took turns jumping into the window and feeling that sweet, cool air against their fur.

Photobucket


I am off to find something to do. I am sure it will involve cooking, baking, sewing or school...or possibly all of the above. I will chat at you more later about an idea I am toying with. Well, actually a couple of ideas. But more on that in another post. Cheerio!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I have used the ...eek.... canned mushroom soup for adding flavor to different meals, but I can just tell by the photo, they are not even in the same category. I may have to try and find this book, that soup looks so good!

Anna said...

No worries about using canned soup prior to today. I did too. I never dreamed of making it any other way...until I flipped open Julia's cookbook to the Cream of Mushroom soup page. I don't think I can ever go back now. I am getting spoiled.

I checked the cookbook out from my library. They have 3 copies I believe. So my plan is to have this copy for 3 weeks, renew for another 3 weeks, turn it in and immediately check out the next copy. he he he. I can then keep that one for 6 weeks (with renewal). I wonder how long I can keep this up... It is a cheap way to learn to cook though.

Sarah said...

Good plan. I showed my husband your photos, so I will be checking out that book too. :)

The Shrone said...

As if I weren't already convinced I needed to take down my Julia Child books and go through them, seeing this soup pushed me over the edge. I've got to try this!

Anna said...

Hooray! I am so glad I have inspired at least two people to try Julia's soups. They really are superb! And although they take a bit more time than opening a can and dumping it into a saucepan with water, they are actually quite easy. I believe we will be eating quite a bit of soup this fall.