Thursday, November 18, 2010

Can You Ever Eat Enough Cake?

Nope. I don't think so. I love cake. I love it more than most anything on the planet. I love it more than shrimp. I love it more than apple cider. I may even love it more than Skittles...although there is a time and place for Skittles and when it is time, nothing else comes close.

Anyways, back to my cake affair. My love of cake generated the exponential growth of cake decorating the past couple of years. So much so that I catch myself begging people to allow me the privilege of baking cakes for them. Yes, I actually beseech people to indulge my cake infatuation. Sad, but true. (I just love cake!)

Can you imagine my excitement when a dear friend of mine took me up on my offer? And not for her six year old son, either. Uh-uh. This request was for her husband. A lover of baseball. I happily dug out my sport ball cake pan and decorated him a baseball cake.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I think I shall divulge a dirty little secret of mine. Brace yourselves. Are you ready? (this one is a doozy so I admonish you to really and truly brace yourself with something...a chair...maybe hold onto the desk. And by all means set the coffee cup down before reading further.)

My secret? I use a cake mix when I decorate cakes.

Whew! What a relief to finally say that. And yes...you read that right. I use a cake mix when decorating cakes. But that is IT! I promise you. I need "from scratch cakes" when they are for eating (and not merely pleasurable viewing). But when I spend hours decorating cakes, I need to cut the time down somewhere so that is where it happens. The cake mix.

This week I felt the need to bake something "Autumnish" but not ho hum-ish. You know? I wanted something pumpkin but not pumpkin pie. Catch my drift? Sadly, I did not own half the supplies for the desserts I salivated over, so I settled for a Pumpkin Spice Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze (from my Better Baking cookbook).

Photobucket


I hesitated showing you this delicious cake because I remain a little unsure whether or not the glaze is supposed to look like that. Typically when I see the word "glaze" in regards to frosting or icing on a cake, I picture a runny, liquid substance that flows down the sides of the cake. I had to pat this "glaze" down with my fingers. Something amiss, perhaps?

Photobucket


But I didn't let that stop me from eating the cake. Chloe and I had a tea party with all her dolls and bears today during which we devoured nibbled some cake. I will have to share the pictures with you tomorrow. Have a happy night!

Photobucket

3 comments:

LadySnow said...

It all looks great to me! I know many people that use cake mixes when decorating cakes. They swear that they always turn out better. Guess that's what happens when we don't have a full science lab in our kitchen. :-)

P. C. Martin said...

No worries! Cake mixes are the busy housewife's second-best friend. (Her very best friend is the Hoover...) It takes time and great care and expense to make a truly gourmet cake, let alone the hours it takes a veritable artist to actually decorate it. Thank God for the smart people who can box cake mixes for us harried Harriets.
You're exceptionally gifted in the cake-making/decorating department, though. GBY!!

Mary said...

Don't worry about using a cake mix. I know professional wedding cake decorators who use a cake mix. If you want it moister, add an extra egg and a little extra oil and bake it at a lower temp for a little longer. So just think of using a cake mix as following advice from the professionals! :) By the way, your cakes are beautiful!