Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Day 34 - 365 Days of Creativity

Finally! We made it to Saturday! Saturday is the day James and I built a bed for Chloe. I spent extensive amounts of some time perusing Ana-White after my friend Amber recommended the site. Boy oh boy! It's like a dream come true. I've been drooling over the furniture there ever since. Check out this kitchen table. I want one! Oh...and these cubbies and storage base and locker hutch for Chloe's new closet. And I think I really, really, really need this Mom's Lego table.

Okay. But enough dreaming. We must first build something we actually DO need. A twin size bed for Chloe. James bought 2 large sheets of birchwood and 1 large sheet of plywood.

Photobucket


We used his table saw, miter saw and ripsaw to cut all the pieces we needed for the bed.

Photobucket


After cutting all the pieces, which took 3/4 of the day, we stopped for a break and I ate a marshmallow pop James gave me for breakfast. (I ate it for my mid-afternoon snack...I couldn't stomach it that early in the morning.)

Photobucket


That evening we carried all the wood upstairs and began building.

Photobucket

Photobucket


We had a blast working on this bed together. After 12 years of marriage, we have finally found something we have in common other than watching movies. Woodworking! Who knew...right? Romantic? I don't know, but we sure enjoyed ourselves. I see many more woodworking dates in our future. (Possibly as early as this Friday. Note the closet solutions I linked to above.) But, I am sure you want to see the final bed, right? Here you go.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I LOVE it! Absolutely and completely LOVE IT! Now I just need to sand and paint it. White. Do you notice the wall color behind the bed? Yup. Fairytale pink. Second coat went on yesterday. Hooray! Her room is starting to come together!

4 comments:

LadySnow said...

I love Ana's site! We have built to benches for our dining room table so far. I can't wait to see it painted. :-)

Amber said...

It looks great! Are you doing the headboard, too?

Anna said...

Hey Amber. Yes, we are doing the headboard too but we ran out of wood while cutting the pieces. We will pick up some more when we get the supplies for the closet. Hopefully this weekend.

Sarah said...

That is absolutely fantastic! As are all the other 365 posts! (I'm a little behind in blog reading)