Thursday, March 03, 2011

Day 45 - 365 Days of Creativity

I read a novel last week regarding a woman living in New York City who learned to cook. Hmmm...you can just imagine what reading this book did to me. Yep! You guessed it. I needed to learn to cook something. In this particular book (which I will not name here because I cannot honestly recommend it...had some horribly bad parts I wish it didn't have) the woman first taught herself how to fry an egg. Simple enough, right? Doesn't everyone know how to fry an egg? Well, after I thought about it for a day or so, I realized that I don't properly know how to fry an egg. Oh, I get by mind you...but maybe, just maybe, I am going about it all wrong. I googled "how to fry an egg" and quickly found out that I, indeed, was defectively frying my eggs. How sad! (Can you feel for my poor family? They've been sorely neglected.)

First things first. I learned that to correctly fry an egg, you simply MUST use butter. Not margarine. Not cooking spray. Butter! How could I have been so disrespectful to eggs for so many years?

Photobucket


Then you gently slip the egg into the pan after the butter froths. (ohhhh....how I love to hear that sizzle.) Cover the pan and cook until the egg white is set.

Photobucket


Now I like my eggs over easy, so I flip it with a pancake turned and let it cook another 30 seconds and voila! Yummy runny eggs.

Photobucket


Runny eggs need toast to sop up that delicious golden yoke.

Photobucket

Photobucket


And that, my friends, is how you fry (and eat) the perfect egg.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Crochetingangel said...

Hmmm, never tried it with butter. But if you like what we call "Dippy" eggs, I take and put a bit of water in the pan, then put your egg in, then cover until it sets. No flipping needed. I'm horrible at trying to flip eggs the yolk always breaks, lol. My FIL taught me this method.

Anna said...

The butter is what helps flip the eggs. With butter, the eggs don't stick to the pan and so you can flip them so quickly and easily. Yummy!

Sarah said...

Looks yummy! I always use butter to fry eggs, I think it helps with the taste, cause everythings betta with butta! :)

Anna said...

You are sooo right Sarah.