Friday, June 24, 2011

Anadama Bread

Nothing beats the smell of baking bread. I start salivating as soon as the scent wafts my way. James questions me numerous times as to when it will be ready to eat. We just love fresh bread, straight from the oven, smothered in butter. Yum! Can you beat that? I think not.

Yesterday, I found myself with a hankering to feast on some homemade bread. I searched through the cookbook to find just the right recipe. (Meaning one that I could locate the ingredients for in my cupboard.) Ah Ha! Anadama Bread. One of the ingredients is molasses. I LOVE MOLASSES!

Photobucket


I tried my hand at shaping a round loaf. I even went so far as to make the cross marks on top. Artful, no?

But alas...we did not care for this bread. Sigh. I don't know. It could be the fact that the recipe called for "light" molasses and I chose to use my "full flavor" variety instead. Or that I failed to "constantly stir" the cornmeal/water mixture. as it boiled. Don't get me wrong. The bread is edible. We will finish it off, no doubt. But normally we eat an entire loaf within 20 minutes of it coming out of the oven. Not Anadama bread. I only nibbled one slice.

Photobucket


Well now. I must be off to ready the house for playgroup! Chicken and Dumplings in the crockpot? Check. Dress up clothes? Check. Clean house? Okay. That's what I forgot. Gotta run. I'll chat at you later.

No comments: