Monday, September 05, 2011

Back to Business

What? I have a crochet business? Woah. What happened to that? Okay. So, I took some time off from my business. A lot of time. Like 3 1/2 years. I've been thinking lately of giving it up altogether. But I just can't seem to cut it off like that. I loved it. It was my baby. My passion.

Where did that passion go? Toward homeschooling. That's where. I love homeschooling more than I love crocheting. And carpel tunnel. That whole "syndrome" slows a person down considerably. And cooking 3 meals a day takes time. Cleaning up the kitchen after cooking 3 meals a day takes time as well. And somehow life picks up speed and you begin to realize that there are more important things at the moment. Things like putting puzzles together with your daughter. Teaching her to ride a bike without training wheels. Making sand castles at the beach. Dancing around the living room to Jack Johnson. Baking chocolate chip cookies. Watching birds soar through the trees. Catching leaves. Skipping rocks.

But lately, James has been asking me to put a bit of effort back into the business. I know I can't crochet 8-12 hours a day like I used to, but surely I still have something to offer. Right? Surely I can handle a new design every now and again.

So, a bit of that passion has returned to my soul. It won't be like before. I have other passions now too. But, I do want to design again. I want to create heirloom clothes for Chloe to wear. (She asked me to crochet her a Christmas dress yesterday. I said maybe I would sew one since I probably don't have enough time to crochet one before December. We'll see.)

That is where things stand at the moment. We are looking at re-designing the website soon and advertising in various places. I have added most of my patterns to my Etsy shop and will be adding them to Artfire this week. I have emailed the owners of Ravelry to see about getting my name linked to my patterns there as a designer. Baby steps. Baby steps.

In the meantime, I have picked up a hook and yarn again. Boy does it feel good sliding through my fingers. Crocheting feels so natural. Designing is in my blood. Just so long as I remember to take it slow.

3 comments:

Click to view my profile said...

Go for it Anna. Like you say in your summery take it slow.

Anonymous said...

This is sounding like the Anna we know and love--well done Anna -- i know it cannot be easy for you.

Marian

(((((HUGS))))) sandi said...

OH YAAAAYYYYY!!!! :D