Saturday, September 10, 2011

It Begins

The website transformation has begun.

Okay. So honestly, not much has happened yet. We are researching Joomla. I love the shopping cart feature they have. Customers will be able to instantly download the patterns with a link provided them with Joomla's shopping cart. I have been wishing for something like that for a LONG, LONG time. As things stand now, I still email every single customer the patterns when the order them. That means I can not be away from my computer for more than 2 days. And do you want to know what I  have found in the 5 years I've been doing this? Customers don't like waiting. Do I need to mention when my husband deploys and my internet or network goes down. How do I get the patterns to my customers then? Sometimes they get very angry with me when this happens. Very angry. And dealing with irate or irritated customers is one of the major reasons I have felt like giving this whole business up. I desperately need that instant download feature. Desperately!

We are in the process of trying to install Joomla on the server as I type. It will take us some time before anyone on your end of the computer screen will see any difference in the website. But things are happening. And I can hardly wait. A transformation! A streamlined website! Wow. This is exciting!

I learned a new word today. Metadata. I know what that means. Isn't that exciting! What a fun and confusing word. I am not comfortable using it in a sentence yet, but I could probably explain it to someone (not a geek) in 1,000 words or less. I feel quite accomplished at the moment.

So, I am off now to enjoy a cup of coffee while I read up on parameters and the difference between subscript and superscript. Goodness, though. It boggles the mind. Have a bright, sunshiny weekend!

No comments: