Friday, September 09, 2011

My Refuge

"I would have enjoyed that a lot more, had I known I was going to live through it." - Mark Lowry


I was watching some of my favorite Christian comedians on YouTube yesterday talking about fear. I loved what Mark Lowry said. I absolutely love it. 

We've been through a lot this summer. But through it all, Jesus stayed by my side. Holding me. Comforting me. Whispering his Love into my heart. 

Psalm 46: 1-3
"God is my refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging."
God is my ever-present help. He is always here. Always! I will not fear. I WILL NOT FEAR! Though my house shakes and rattles in an earthquake. Though a hurricane blows through and my electricity shuts off. Though the basement floods and water saturates my belongings. Though the doctors probe and stick me with all sorts of needles and questions. Though I sit through yet another EEG, praying Chloe experiences no seizures as she comes off her medication. Though bills arrive yet money does not. Though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, I WILL NOT FEAR! God is my ever-present help.

Psalm 46:10
"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth."

Be Still! Know that God is God. He is. He will be exalted. Though everything on earth may crumble and come to ruin, God is still God. He will still be exalted. He will still be by my side, my ever-present help. 

And I can't help but wonder if its true. If what Mike Lowry said is true. When I get to heaven and look back on my life here on earth, will I say, "I would have enjoyed that a lot more, had I known I was going to live through it."

So, now I am off to find some joy in the rain. And make my daughter laugh. And enjoy a good book. And spend some time shopping with my best friend. And hunt for owls. And paint a picture. And hug my darling child. And kiss her tummy. And cuddle my kitty. And maybe, just maybe, enjoy this life because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I will live through it. And when I die, I will live through that too.






1 comment:

P. C. Martin said...

When thou passest through the waters
Deep the waves may be, and cold
But Jesus is our refuge
And His promise is our hold

For the Lord Himself hath said it
He the faithful God and true,
"When thou comest to the waters
Thou shalt not go down, but through."

Seas of sorrow, seas of trial
Bitterest anger, fiercest pain
Rolling surges of temptation
Sweeping over heart and brain

They shall never overflow us
For we know His Word is true
All His waves and all His billows
He will lead us safely through

Threatening breakers of destruction
Doubt's insidious undertow
Shall not sink us, shall not drag us
Out to ocean depths of woe

For His promise shall sustain us
Praise the Lord whose Word is true
We shall not go down or under
For He sayeth, "Thou passeth through."