Monday, October 03, 2011

Gone

It's gone. Completely gone.

My Nikon D5000 is no more.

It was stolen from our apartment in New York City.

Sigh.

My parents came to visit for a couple of weeks and we took them to NYC to see where James was raised and the Statue of Liberty. We stayed in an apartment in the Upper West Side. Well, that evening while we headed out to climb (ride an elevator) up the Empire State Building, some person broke into our room and helped themselves to my $800 camera.

I can't cry. It was only a camera after all. I didn't lose my daughter or my leg or something of that importance. A camera can be replaced...if one has the finances to do so (which I do not). But oh, how I miss it. I look at my charger (which was left at home) and sigh. I even have my camera bag. Empty.

I have some pictures my mother gave me from her camera as documentation that I truly "was there" but it's not the same. It is not MY photography. With MY camera.

Sigh.

Those college classes on photography I was asking for Christmas seem a little pointless now so I will remove them from my wishlist.

Someday I will replace it. Not now. But someday.

In other news, the remodeling work commenced on our basement this morning. Hooray! Oh yea. I forgot to mention (or maybe I did mention and forgot) that our entire basement flooded a few weeks ago. Right in time for my parent's visit. So they (not my parents...the water mitigation people) tore everything up and dried it out and now we've been waiting for 4 weeks for them (the remodeling people) to come and replace everything. We get a brand new basement out of this.

So, lots going on in our household. I will have to update you all more at another time. I am off to clean something. Or take a nap.

2 comments:

PZ said...

"A man's true wealth is measured by what he has left when he has lost everything."

Sorry about your camera, Anna! It is disheartening to live in a world where the things one has worked hard and saved for can be stolen at random by an inconsiderate stranger. The thief couldn't possibly have known what that camera meant to you. I'm praying that you can replace it quickly. Miracles do happen!

LadySnow said...

Oh wow...how did I miss this post. So sorry that it happened. But it's an encouragement to see you are handling it like you did. You're right...it could have been something much, much worse.