Thursday, December 29, 2011

Finally...an Update!

Greetings my faithful and sadly neglected blog-world friends. I am sorry to have left you in the dust as I did, but life threw us a few curve balls this fall and well...other than that, I have no other excuses. So, I will just apologize and hope that someone out there is still reading this.

So, what have we been up to since...oh...say about last summer? (Seeing as it has been that long since I have really contributed substantially to this blog.) Well, let me recap some of the high points for you.

1. We survived an earthquake. Wooo Hooo! Yes we did! Last August or thereabouts. Scared dear little Chloe out of her wits. She was at the top of the stairs and I was at the bottom. After the fact (and once we realized we were alive and that it was, indeed, an earthquake *thank you facebook*) we decided it was quite a thrilling experience to live through. Nothing fell on us nor did anything break so we now consider it an impromptu theme park ride of sorts.

2. In the same week our entire basement flooded. I would say that the earthquake scored a much higher rating on the "fun things to experience" list. The basement flooding caused too much chaos and turmoil in our home. (P.S. The flood happened before the earthquake by a couple of days and it was due to our sump pump taking a much needed vacation during some of the worst rains I have ever seen in these parts, not the earthquake. Don't get confused.)

Anyways, the emergency water mitigation company worked quickly to pack up ALL our belongings and cart them off. I scrambled to retrieve as many of Chloe's schoolbooks as I could from their swift fingers before they were packed up. I cannot say the same for the remodeling company, on the other hand. It took them a good 2 1/2 months to get the basement put back together. We have yet to finish unpacking the boxes in our newly remodeled basement.

I feel as though I now understand how Jesus works all things out for good according to his purpose. Take our basement. I was in tears as the water mitigation company walked around and informed me of each and every one of my possessions that would need to be thrown out. It was sad. But, now we have a beautifully finished basement that looks 100% better than it did before. The carpet was replaced. The drywall was replaced and painted. The baseboards were replaced. It looks fantastic. I can only thank Jesus for this.

3. So, Chloe has been over 2 years without a seizure. Praise Jesus! She came off her seizure medication in September. So far we have had no seizures from her.

4. I cannot say the same for the rest of our family though. In November (the weekend before Thanksgiving) James went mountain biking with a friend and had a pretty bad accident. He broke his finger (Poor guy had to wear a cast for 3 weeks. That's tough for a computer guy who spends most of his day typing.) and about 30 seconds after the crash, his friend saw him seize up. Oh my. Yes. What a weekend. We spent 3 days in the hospital trying to get tests run to find out why, but they don't know. He never hit his head. Anyways, all is well. All is fine. He is completely normal.

But he cannot drive for 3 months. Guess who gets to drive him everywhere! Yup. Yours truly. And you all know how I hate driving, right? God is teaching me through this though. I am capable. And flexible. Not that I have been in the past, mind you. But that is what He is teaching me through all of these trials that have come my way in the past 6 months. We can homeschool in the kitchen while the basement is uninhabitable. I can rearrange my schedule to take James to work and doctors appointments and school and all that. If I need to clean the house in the evening instead of read books or blog, I can do that too.

So, there you have some updates from this side of the computer now. Hopefully, I will have more for you soon. I have been thinking about my New Years "Goals" and once I get them ironed out, I will have to share some of them with you. One of them might just pertain to this here blog. We shall see.

Have a delightful weekend.

No comments: