Thursday, January 05, 2012

A Good Goal Needs Motivation, Right?

I bribe motivate Chloe with trinkets and small toys sometimes to help her want to tackle a hard task. I figure if the task is that hard we all need some help in reaching for it, right? Sometimes, the end goal is enough motivation in itself. But what happens when it's not?

Take my fitness goals for this year. If you are a long time reader of my blog, you might vaguely recall a similar goal from last year. And the year before. (And the year before that.) and before that too. We don't need to go back that far. You get the point.

So, how can I make sure that 2012 is THE year that I accomplish this desire to lose my pregnancy fat and obtain that ever elusive energy I see so many other mothers with?

Ah-ha! Motivational rewards!

Makes sense, right? So, my reward is this. For every 2 pounds I lose I get to buy a book for myself from my extensive book list. Some of these books have been on this list for over two years. I can't quite bring myself to purchase them. I know I want them, but somehow other things seem more important (like broccoli and laundry soap and socks). My only rule is that they must be books for MY enjoyment. They cannot be "schoolbooks" for Chloe.

This might prove a very hard rule for me to follow. I am a homeschooling Mama who has a "thing" for books.

Opps. I may have already broken my only rule. I bought a book yesterday. I Love Dirt! Oh, but you don't understand. I REALLY wanted this book. So, it was just as much for me as it was for Chloe, if not more. She could probably care less that I bought it. (Although I could most likely say that for 95% of her schoolbooks, but that is beside the point.)

But the rest of the books I buy will be solely for myself.

And I will have you know that I did not intend to lose 4 pounds in one week when I chose this motivational tool. My "plan" was/is .25 pounds a week. That would amount to one book a month. I figured that would be enough to keep me focused. (How to make James believe me...)

My other motivational reward was fully approved of by James himself (as was the book idea but he might not confirm that fact since he is out the money for two books this week). Once I reach ALL my fitness goals this year James will take me out to buy a new dress and then dinner at Ruth's Chris. I know, I know. They say you are not supposed to use food as a reward with fitness goals. Oh well. It's what I want and its what will motivate me. It's not like I am promising myself a candy bar for every two pounds I lose or something. I may change my mind, however and opt for Fogo De Chao. That might be a bad idea. All you can eat meat. Hmmm...we shall see how hungry I am the night we are to dine.

2 comments:

Lindy said...

I say that last reward won't be the food, it will be the date in a great dress with your hubby that is the reward! Good luck.

Anna said...

Thank you for the encouragement. What a wonderful way to look at it. And I will probably eat the salad first too. ;)