Friday, January 20, 2012

The Lamb and Her Shepherd

I am a lamb,
Leaping through the meadow;
Chasing butterflies in the tall grass,
Frolicking amongst the wildflowers.

Mindless and carefree,
I dance and sing for my own delight.
Wandering heedlessly, I stray from the fold;
Content to find my own amusement.

The world delights my fickle fancy,
So many frivolous things to achieve.
Darkness creeps in around me,
Drinking up my blessed light.

Dark.
Alone.
Scared.
Nowhere to turn.
Caught between giant boulders on the cliff side,
I cannot move from this snare.

Crying out, bleating for my Shepherd;
Scared He won't come.
Foolishness.
Shame.
Why?
Why did I leave my protection?

A still, small voice.
It reaches through the darkness;
Gentle hands secure me into a loving embrace.
My Shepherd never left my side,
He followed me through it all.

Home.
Where I belong.
Humbly I kneel, face to the ground,
To worship my Shepherd.
Safe.
Warm.
Loved.

No comments: