Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Adoption Homestudy Progress

We finally made progress! Hooray! Boy, when they tell you to have patience they really mean it. You just never know where the snag is going to pop up on the adoption journey.

Our first snag (and hopefully only snag) was the Health Inspection. Our agency informed us that the paperwork time-frame would be roughly 30 days. One month. February. We gathered all the papers and forms we needed in exactly 30 days. All, that is, except for the Health Inspection. Well, the agency would not assign us a social worker until we passed that inspection.  So, we waited. And waited. And waited.


Two weeks ago, I received a phone call from the Health Department, asking me if she could stop by in the morning for the inspection. In the morning? Are you kidding me? That was less than 24 hours away. I thought I would have at least a few days to prepare for this. "This is a rush job," she informed me. "We need to get it done immediately."

"Where's the rush?" I asked. "We submitted the application to you guys over 2 months ago. You cashed our check 5 weeks ago. I don't see the rush!"

Apparently, she had only received the application that very day. I guess they moved offices about the time we mailed our application so we got lost somewhere in the system.

Oh well.

James and I headed over to Home Depot that evening to purchase new trash cans with lids that close (the garbage man with some help from the wind breaks our cans to pieces) and a mat for our bathtub.

The following morning, promptly a half hour late, the inspector arrived and inspected our home. As she was walking towards the door, Chloe peeked around my legs. "Do you need something?" I inquired.

"Did we pass? Do we get to adopt children?" she shyly asked the inspector.

"Yes. You passed," she immediately replied with a smile across her face. "Congratulations and good luck on your adoption."

So, there you have it. We passed the Health Inspection and are now waiting to be assigned a social worker to proceed with the Homestudy. In approximately 4-6 weeks, we will begin the wait for our children. I am so excited I am about to cry.

1 comment:

LadySnow said...

So happy for you. Another step completed :-)