Thursday, April 26, 2012

Maybe I Just Don't Have It?

Since we have started our summer break this week, I thought I would take some time to devote to my business. Yippee! So, first thing on the to-do list...list my patterns in my Etsy and Artfire shops. Done. Now onto the dreaded website makeover.

Sigh.

It seems that when learning something new, if you put it down for 7-9 months, chances are that you will forget what you have learned. At least such is the case for me. I spent an hour yesterday trying to remember how to access my Joomla site that I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt I created. I finally found it.

I then spent the next 5 hours building two pages and trying to link them. Done!

Opps. Snag. My font wouldn't show up on the preview screen. I could see it clearly in the editor though. Ugggggg......all that work.....sigh. I left to take a shower.

Shortly after that, James arrived home and I complained about explained the situation. He sat down at the table and opened the laptop. He clarified that I accessed the Joomla site located on my server, correct? Yes. He smiled at me.

Oh no.

Oh no. No. No. NOOOOOOOOO. He did NOT just find my site and login in less than 2 minutes did he? Yes, he did. What took me an hour to figure out, he did in less than two minutes.

Sigh.

He asked which page I wasn't able to view my font on. I showed him and he pulled it up. He immediately selected all the font on the page and lo and behold, there it was! The same color as my background! I could have screamed. I could have...but I didn't. He did find the problem, but would he know how to fix it? I think not. It shows up just fine in the editor. A nice black, brown color. He opened the editor, highlighted the text and clicked one button. ONE BUTTON. Save, and preview.

Sigh.

My husband just did in less than 5 minutes what would have taken me 5 hours to figure out. (And he didn't even watch the how-to videos.)

Maybe I just don't have what it takes? I smiled as demurely as I know how. I added honey to my voice and spoke gently and quietly, my voice dripping with syrupy sweetness.

"Could you just build my new website for me please? It would take you 2 hours whereas it would take me 2 weeks. I don't think that is the most efficient use of our time, do you?"

He replied, "But that is the only way you will learn. You have to do it yourself and figure it out. How do you think I learned?"

"But this was your FIRST time using Joomla!"

I don't get it. I really don't get it. Why does this come so naturally to him? The man makes it look like a piece of cake. I am telling you this straightforward. It is not that easy.

But alas, my dear and wise husband insists that I need to learn this on my own and build my very own website. From scratch. So that someday I will have it.

Sigh.

So here goes Day 2.

1 comment:

LadySnow said...

So jealous you started your summer break already. :-) Enjoy the break and good luck building your website. :-)